1936 AJS 22 250cc

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
poplargreg

1936 AJS 22 250cc

Post by poplargreg »

I have noticed a recent post about this model and have a question.
Mine was probably made in '35 as it has exposed valve springs and no oil feed to the rockers or valves. Plenty of grease nipples attend to the needs of the top end, except for the exhaust valve, which always seemed a bit mean to me.
I rode it quite a lot in the late sixties and early seventies and am now giving it a make over. Running dry never seemrd to bother the valve and guide, and the explanation at the time was that the lead in the petrol did the necessary. I was a bit doubtful about that as I don't suppose tetra ethyl lead was present pre-war and is now long gone anyway.
The question is "would the addition of a little 2-stroke oil (or some other substance) make life a little more pleasant for the valve and guide?" or did the manufacturer know best?
Gino-Ant

Re: 1936 AJS 22 250cc

Post by Gino-Ant »

Hi Poplargreg,
I’m also interested to know about the exposed valve gear, my bike has it too.
I often wondered about those lead blocks available to stick in your tank but not sure if they actually do anything, whether they may help? I suppose the problem with the exhaust guide is that anything added to the fuel may be burned off before it passes over it.
Out of interest, at work I supply valves occasionally for very high temp service. Above temps of 300oC the bearings are a special alloy as are the shafts, reliant on different hardnesses. The clearances are critical, but they can last for years.
As you say, I’m sure the guys that built these bikes knew what they were doing.
Hudriwudri

Post by Hudriwudri »

@poplargreg

Imho you can use "up top" lubrication. (I even use it with just a hint of add on in my cars)
I would recommend that you get synthetic 2stroke oil with a very high ash point and lots of detergent additives.

All the best and kind regards Christian
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Thank you for that Christian - I was thinking along those lines and will follow your advice. It is bound to help, and will make me feel happier when I use the bike.