1929 AJS model M1

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Rob Harknett

Re: 1929 AJS model M1

Post by Rob Harknett »

If Parkwood clips are correct Clive, then AJS must have used more than one type of clip. I managed to walk as far as my garage today and take pictures of my 28 K9 also a pic of another group members bear clip. See attached pictures
wrong Parkwood clips.jpg
1920s AJS rear stand clip 3.JPG
1920s AJS rear stand clip 2.JPG
1920s AJS rear stand clip 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

I see the difference you are identifying Rob, our original poster who is also Rob will have to look around further. Happily the one I purchased has a flat on one side and bent on the other, and as the rear mudguard was new it did not matter where I drilled the holes, but I do have the ugly bolt and spring! These photos will help Rob to track down what he needs.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do believe my clip is original Clive, it is the same as the other group members example. Only one end bent. Note the short cone shape spring is very tidy. The first example posted here, Jaris and Parkwood clips all appear to be what Jari calls the Terry Type clip. Compare that awful long spring & bolt plus large washer on the to Parkwood clip with the clip on my K9. I would not however dismiss a claim, AJS may have used more than one type of clip.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

PARTS NOW MADE.
Here you see the correct 1920's rear stand clip. A small batch of the cone shape springs have been made.
Ashampoo_Snap_07 November 2021_11h46m48s_005_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robwp

Post by Robwp »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I finally purchased a clip from British only in Austria. They say it’s a copy of a clip from a 1926 Brough . It works well.
Hudriwudri

Post by Hudriwudri »

I would have to look as mine is unfortunately, as I'm inined to believe not complete, but it looks different then the terry spring set up.

Kind regards

Christian
Hudriwudri

Post by Hudriwudri »

Good evening fellas,

Tried to upload a picture of my spring but did not find the "upload file" option as i currently do not have access anymore to photobucket since they changed regulations.
Anyways my spring looks like the one at the beginning of the topic.

Kind regards Christian
clive

Post by clive »

Hudriwudri wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:25 pm Good evening fellas,

Tried to upload a picture of my spring but did not find the "upload file" option as i currently do not have access anymore to photobucket since they changed regulations.
Anyways my spring looks like the one at the beginning of the topic.

Kind regards Christian
Uploading photos directly to the forum is limited to full members.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Hudriwudri

Post by Hudriwudri »

Uh, ok i understand.
Pity as i guess being located in mainland Europe full membership doesn't make enough sense.
Would somebody be so kind and give me some hints on where to read about prewar membership etc?

Given that I do not want to clutter the forum with posts and this topic is called 1929 M1, does anybody know how many M/R/1/2 are still on the road as i have no clue at all, living in mainland Europe?

Thanks a lot and kind regards

Christian
Last edited by Hudriwudri on Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This is an International club with members world wide. It has sections in many countries. It has an annual International rally. The Italian section organised such a rally not so long ago. Recently I scanned all the club magazines from 1954 on wards. They are all now archived on our web site for members. So there is plenty for you to read if you were a club member.