1929 AJS model M1

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Robwp

1929 AJS model M1

Post by Robwp »

Hi , I am a new member restoring a 1929 V-twin. I am looking for the rear stand clip that is attached to the rear mudguard to hold up the stand. Any leads would be great. The pic shows a similar one from 1926 .Thanks. Rob in Los Angeles
5D18E053-1DA2-455D-9A60-55C4B5B2F7B1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: 1929 AJS model M1

Post by clive »

I bought the two parts made from sprung steel off eBay and assembled my own. The sprung steel bits were overly expensive but it does mean I now have the clip on my K12. I did not find a source for the complete unit but someone else here may know of somewhere.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Clips were made. I believe there are still some available. You will need to join an e group to contact who is making them.
Please send me an e mail to prewar@jampot.com I will then activate the e group website site, to send an invite to join the group ( free ) to your email address. This cuts out the application approval procedure to join the group. Rob Harknett club prewar officer
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If the prewar group does not bear fruit you could also try Parkwood products http://www.parkwoodproducts.co.uk/mudgu ... tands.html who list a long and short universal one.
Robwp

Post by Robwp »

Does anyone have a contact number for Parkwood products please. I’m having trouble getting in touch by email. Thank you
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I found this mention of them on the Web. Worth a follow up perhaps...........?

Guest Company Not part of ATC** Parkwood Products - Andy ...https://www.andybuysbikes.com › Parkwood
Parkwood Products is a guest company not connected to Andy Tiernan Classics. For all enquiries: - Telephone - 01728 833736. Mobile - 07594 931700.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Robwp wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:30 pm Does anyone have a contact number for Parkwood products please. I’m having trouble getting in touch by email. Thank you
I would not bother trying to contacting Parkwood, they do not list a clip for 1920's AJS on their website.
Did you read my posting, Duncan only suggested you try Parkwood if I could not help.
https://www.vintage-replica.com/293-rea ... -system-2/
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:03 am
Robwp wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:30 pm Does anyone have a contact number for Parkwood products please. I’m having trouble getting in touch by email. Thank you
I would not bother trying to contacting Parkwood, they do not list a clip for 1920's AJS on their website.
Did you read my posting, Duncan only suggested you try Parkwood if I could not help.
https://www.vintage-replica.com/293-rea ... -system-2/
Rob are you saying that the picture earlier in this post thread is incorrect and that all 1920's AJS used the Terry system clip? The illustrated dealers catalogues do not show an illustration with the rather ugly clip and it appears to be as in the photo. But the illustrations are small and they may not show what was supplied. The 1929 parts list for AJS does not illustrate the part but lists a pin, washer, nut and spiral spring for the stand clip which suggests it is not the terry type but as in the photo. It also says it is suitable for all models 1919 to 1929 and specifically mentions it is also suitable for the K12. As my, so far 18 year, restoration of a K12 has involved many make it fit/work bodges I was pleased to think the stand clip as illustrated, at least, was correct.
clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I thought the same Clive. The Terry type clip on Jairi's website is not very clear. Some time ago, I believe on the prewar group forum, Dudley said he got a clip from Jari for his M1, it is listed under " new products " The clip I found being the Terry type clip.
clive

Post by clive »

A quick use of the search facility on the Jairi website only shows the Terry type clip which we agree is wrong, so back to Parkwood. http://www.parkwoodproducts.co.uk/mudgu ... tands.html
The very bottom of this page lists two sizes of sprung clip one of which will probably be correct.
clive