New Member - 1929 Matchless Model X

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
bluey

New Member - 1929 Matchless Model X

Post by bluey »

Hi, this is a slightly more detailed follow up post to my one on the General board.

This bike is owned by Steve, who I work with at his bike workshop. He picked it up around two years ago from Bristol after being made aware of it by a friend.

Originally he intended for it to be the next restoration project for me to work on. I'd previously restored his Dresda Triton and very recently completed his Sunbeam S7.

Since getting it we've been strongly advised not to restore it and if we can, get it running.

So, a few interesting things we've learnt since talking to the previous owner. In 1977 he saw it for sale at a shop in South Wales, fell in love with it and traded his Norton Commando along with getting a hefty loan to buy it. It was bought as a non running project and it was never ran the whole time he had it. He did have the Magdyno rebuilt but it was only ever rested in place and never bolted in.

He was also the first person to register the bike, although when the DVLA sent through the paperwork they had registered it as a 1931. With that he contacted The Vintage Motorcycle Club to have confirmation that the bike was in fact a 1929 model.

Sadly the paint on the fuel tank had been removed at some point before he owned it.

The bike itself appears to have been sold with the optional side car and Lucas electric kit.

Other interesting things on the bike are the Briggs & Barlow carburettor. From what I've read I believe this is the incorrect carb and by 1929 it should have been an Amal. The throttle control is connected to the lever assembly with the choke rather than a twist throttle. From what I understand, this particular lever is usually the ignition advance/retard.

I also discovered the valve springs had no retaining springs in place. The originals were nowhere to be found so I had to make some up. Whilst looking in that area I noticed the rear barrel was loose and the piston/rings were not clearing that bore. Removing the barrels revealed that the rear piston didn't have any rings fitted at all. I'll be posting in the parts board looking for help on theese too.

It's an interesting bike with an interesting history. Hopefully I can find some rings and get it running again. It's been waiting a long time.

SPRIDDLER

Re: New Member - 1929 Matchless Model X

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Wonderful project. Thanks for posting.
I think the 'Goto' firms for piston rings, including vintage which they can match using existing rings as patterns or from piston groove dims are F W Thornton and Cox & Turner

https://www.fwthornton.co.uk/piston-ring-sets-l

https://coxandturner.co.uk/

1929 is a bit before my time but no doubt Rob H (the club's very knowledgeable Pre-war Officer) will be along to offer useful comments.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You must have given the VMCC numbers. Before looking for parts you need to know what you want parts for. Contact the club dating officer. We can confirm the frame year /model and what engine year / model you have. I managed to hunt down old trade books that gave numbers. Having spent years and £100's buying books, ( covering all vehicles ) I have only shared info with our club, for the benefit of club and its members.

Nevvile has just made a comment. Depending on model, you could be advised where to get parts like springs and piston rings.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You may already know but if it helps you there are many downloadable original owners manuals, workshop manuals and spares lists here under 'Books':

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It does look like a 1929 model X which the frame and engine numbers would prove beyond doubt. Once confirmed as so, the Brough superior club may have engine parts. Some 20 years ago the BS club agreed to sell spare parts to our club members. This agreement was made by myself on behalf of the club with B.S.C. Spares man Mike Smith. mikesmithbsc@hotmail.com