How hard can it be to put an engine together correctly !

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
g80csp11

How hard can it be to put an engine together correctly !

Post by g80csp11 »

Im in the process of getting my G80CS running , and it actually fired up for the first time in 30+ years today (briefly)
lost compression for the second time . the first time i had some muck on the exhaust valve seat so off came the head
Rebuilt again , and got it running once the ignition timing was correct
Somehow 3 people doing one task doesn't make it any easier, apparently there are two timing settings correct and incorrect !

So tomorrow , off with the head again to investigate

Why didn't anyone warm me that as soon as you retire everything takes longer especially with a basket case rebuild
Groily

Re: How hard can it be to put an engine together correctly !

Post by Groily »

I suppose it all depends on the state of the Bits in the Basket Peter . . .
. . . and of course it takes longer once we're 'retired', because we're so much busier all of a sudden . . .
. . . and if many hands make light work, then too many cooks spoil the broth just as easily!
It's all a conspiracy, mark my words. The Rays Are Coming Through the Wall.
Good luck with the next decapitation!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:57 pm I'm in the process of getting my G80CS running , and it actually fired up for the first time in 30+ years today (briefly)
Why didn't anyone warn me that as soon as you retire everything takes longer especially with a basket case rebuild
Well it may not have run for 30+ years but to my knowledge it's been untouched in your dining room for 15 years..........
CIMG4729 (640x480).jpg
Somehow 3 people doing one task doesn't make it any easier, apparently there are two timing settings correct and incorrect !
Now, now, at least Resto Ray and I were on hand to impart years of expertise and offer advice. Shame about the missing compression though. Have you had a proper look for it in the boxes under the bench?

Don't despair........
CIMG2222.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Nev, just found the jar of compression next to the Genuine Lucas smoke. head is off , im half convinced that the new exhaust valve has picked up despite having clearance . certainly a few marks that id not expect after 5 minutes running. going to rebuild with the re-sleeved barrel , genuine std bore piston and a new exhaust valve . have to wait until tomorrow as working this afternoon . on a positive note at least for my tenants they have a new washing machine all installed now . we will get it running eventually just not today
smoke and compression.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Great!
See, I said you must have it somewhere. :roll:

----------------
:idea:
Cuh! Why change the cylinder and piston when you could just stick the valve in your lathe and reduce the diameter of its head by a couple of thou?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I think its picked up on the guide so its the stem , much rather stick a new one in