Rear Brake Repair

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
g80csp11

Rear Brake Repair

Post by g80csp11 »

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Over the last few years the rear brake performance on my P11 (750) has steadily deteriorated with uneven wear on the brake shoes. Ive traced this to excessive wear on the brake plate cam spindle and steel bush
So today , Ive manufactured a replacement steel bush , hardened it with BETA 1 powder and once cleaned it will be ready for brazing
I managed to source a new cam spindle from Jampot spares eliminating all the wear

Ideal project for a winter Sunday in Tier 4 and makes use of the coal fire at the same time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Re: Rear Brake Repair

Post by g80csp11 »

Slide4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

I understand Beta1 is a carbon powder substance, made essentially from charcoal, allowing case hardening to be performed at small scale.
The composition and alternatives is revealed here:
https://www.glue-it.com/wp/materials/me ... -compound/

Who sells Beta1 in the UK?

-Knut
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A few places, Knut. Here's just one
http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalo ... pound.html

Steve
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Slide5.JPG
Job done, new steel bush and cam fitted together with new chrome cover
The covers are special for P11 / G85 with the torque arm fitted ( Only available from Jampot spares , once they get some more made ! )

Thanks Ray for brazing the spacer into the back plate as originally made ! , now I can complete the rebuild of the back wheel into the swinging arm , and then just leaves the cylinder head replacement before it can go back out in the garage rather than in the kitchen although may just keep it indoors until the spring !
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Very nice work and an excellent result! Great inspiration for me as I have to do the same for my G80CS restoration project. Thanks for sharing!

-Knut