Steering damper

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
mdt-son

Steering damper

Post by mdt-son »

Gents,
The steering damper developed by AMC for the 1964-on models is a bit of a mystery. The spares list appears to be incomplete (for instance, no friction disks are specified - I suspect parts off the Teledraulic fork steering damper were used). I haven't found a vendor selling the model specific parts, let alone a complete unit.

Does any of you gentlemen have a complete steering damper either loose or fitted, and being able to post some pictures? Does someone make the parts?

-Knut
SPRIDDLER

Re: Steering damper

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Anything post 1958 is a bit too modern for me Knut, but would the '64 have Roadholder forks?

If so, Norvil show a couple of steering dampers in their catalogue, but no diagrams unfortunately.

https://www.norvilmotorcycle.co.uk/

Damper Norvil.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Yes Spriddler, the '64 bikes have Roadholder forks. I owe you a beer! I don't know how I missed this one. In fact there is a picture in the main parts entry, but Norvil appears to have mixed up the pictures (50's version and 1964 version). 030331 is the number quoted in the spares list. I am not entirely convinced this kit will fit the G15 models - the spares book is not without errors as we all know. However, I will give it a try and will report back.

Thanks again.
-Knut
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Does anyone have a picture or an article of a contemporary AMC model post-'64 having a steering damper fitted?

-Knut
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Knut go have a look in the suspension area, we now stock the complete steering damper but without the locking nut for the steering stem as the kit is common bar the top nuts.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Rob - thanks for the referral. However, I could find steering damper kits for Teledraulic forks only. Steering dampers for the Roadholder forks (G15 etc) are different albeit some parts were shared with the former. Have I missed something? Steering dampers made for the Featherbed is different again
and the parts list is erroneous.
I emailed Steve Surbey about this - he had never seen one for the late duplex frames. If nothing turns up I will have to re-engineer this damper.

-Knut
Last edited by mdt-son on Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Rob - by the way, why is suspension category L now tagged "incl. (Norton)"? No Norton parts had found their way into the AMC range for 1963, and to my knowledge, no AMC fork parts were used with Norton either.
Section J2 - Norton forks were used for model year 1964 onwards, not '63. Basically the CSR followed the roadsters in terms of forks, for 1963 (Teledraulic) as well as 1964 (Roadholder), and the "excl. CSR" remark is incorrect as well.

-Knut
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

mdt-son wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:08 am Rob - by the way, why is suspension category L now tagged "incl. (Norton)"? No Norton parts had found their way into the AMC range for 1963, and to my knowledge, no AMC fork parts were used with Norton either.
Section J2 - Norton forks were used for model year 1964 onwards, not '63. Basically the CSR followed the roadsters in terms of forks, for 1963 (Teledraulic) as well as 1964 (Roadholder), and the "excl. CSR" remark is incorrect as well.

-Knut

Categories have been that for years.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Rob,

> Categories have been that for years.

About time for a small correction, ehh?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Not by me, don't have the access.