Oil Tank Breather / Chain Oiler Query

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Mick D

Oil Tank Breather / Chain Oiler Query

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I believe the 3/16"ish outlet on the top of a 1965 G15 oil tank is a breather and that it was originally routed to vent over the secondary chain as an 'oiler', is this correct and If so can anyone advise of it's route? (there's no mention in the documentation I have looked at, of a pipe equivalent to PN 026363 which is depicted and listed in earlier models).

I notice I have a hole drilled in the inner PCC casting to the rear end of the sprocket fairing which could be used to accept the breather hose, does anyone know if this is where it was fitted as standard or a later 'modification'?
Chain Oiler.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mick D on Sat May 08, 2021 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Re: Oil Tank Breather / Chain Oiler

Post by ajscomboman »

The top vent pipe just runs to the rear of the bike and terminates by the number plate Mick. All my ally chain cases have that hole in but I don't believe it's for the breather on the G15
Mick D

Re: Oil Tank Breather / Chain Oiler Query

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

My G3 chain case doesn't have the hole but I do have the original flexi and rigid pipe for the oiler which keeps things tidy.

Not keen on it just venting at the back of the G15 so I made this from an old inner tube valve and a bit of brake pipe:
Oiler.png
Oiler 2.png
Also shown in the second photo is the gearbox adjuster cross head which I made too, so as the bolt head would align with the relief cut into the gearbox case.

When I bought the hybrid I didn't realise how much fabrication would be involved, (front mudguard stays shortened, rear mudguard support loop re-made, battery carrier made, stop switch carrier made, numerous other spacers and brackets etc.), - still, it keeps me amused.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greybeard

Re: Oil Tank Breather / Chain Oiler Query

Post by Greybeard »

Mick D wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:13 pm Not keen on it just venting at the back of the G15

Theres not been much in the way of progress over the last 50 or 60 years, Mick. A mate of mine was misguided enough to buy a new 'Norton Commando' about 3 years ago. He asked me what the little plastic bottle with the pipe going into it and tie-wrapped to the frame was for :D £15k and the drips are now caught in a 10p bottle :rofl:
Its also been horrendously unreliable. A real gem!

Steve