Zener Diode Heat Sink

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Mick D

Zener Diode Heat Sink

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Being a bit of a traditionalist I'll be using a zener diode in the charging circuit of my 65 G15CSR. I know most folk defer towards more modern regulator/ rectifier systems but I wonder if anyone has an original heat sink lying around that they could photograph and dimension to enable me to make one.

From Bacon it looks like two square / rectangular plates and some spacers so easy enough to make, just like to get the dimensions correct.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Re: Zener Diode Heat Sink

Post by ajscomboman »

I chopped mine up! You could have had it otherwise. I'm all for adopting modern tech as I don't have faith in 60's technology plus AGM batteries are quite sensitive to charge rates.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

1969 G15CSR.jpg
If its the same as my G15CSR and P11 , they are round aluminium discs separated by a thin spacer
I have then fitted by not connected and run a Podtronics rectifier unit
Its mounted under the front of the petrol tank on the fixing that is also used for steering damper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... ulator.pdf
I have a finned heat sink on my 63 G12CSR the above shows just a flat plate.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

the 64 parts list has 030042 listed for the plates , and carry forward to 1965
Norvil have then listed but i cant see a picture
1966 onwards is different part no 032018 (round)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Rob

Was yours square / rectangular like Bacon pages 98 and 161 or circular as per Peter's?

Peter, any chance of a couple of close ups when you get a chance so as I can see how it's mounted, is it attached to the same point as the head steady?

Regards Mick

Edited to add: Crossed post Peter, making more sense now, guess I should have rectangular plates - close up of the mounting would still be helpful though.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi Rob

Was yours square / rectangular like Bacon pages 98 and 161 or circular as per Peter's?

Peter, any chance of a couple of close ups when you get a chance so as I can see how it's mounted, is it attached to the same point as the head steady?

Regards Mick

Edited to add: Crossed post Peter, making more sense now, guess I should have rectangular plates - close up of the mounting would still be helpful though.
Mine is like half an egg, diode fits in the middle, I fitted it facing forward via the twin head steady screw into the threaded hole in the bottom.
I scanned a spare I have below, too lazy to get the camera out. I do not have the bacon book to see the picture you refer to.
front.jpg
bottom.jpg
back.jpg
here you can see a pic on e bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zener-Diode- ... SwuAVcfT2t
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

That's the one I have fitted to my T160V, the Bacon photos are more akin to the Lucas illustration you linked.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes I have seen it listed as Triumph Mick, I guess the flat one I linked would be correct. Perhaps depending on year of bike.
It looks quite neat on my bike.
clive

Post by clive »

My 67 G15mk2 has 2 circular flat plates which bolt to the same place as the head steady. Given what i know about the bike its likely to be original spec. The garage is off site so you will have to wait until i take my daily exercise in that direction with the mag in my pocket as it needs refitting. I will try to take some photos.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix