G15 Fork Length

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Mick D

Re: G15 Fork Length

Post by Mick D »

Hi Peter

Yes, I have the correct long stanchions and springs, my damper rods were confirmed to conform to the parts drawing by Andover Norton, so it's just the short damper tubes to sort.

I'm going to go through the parts lists with a fine tooth comb today to ensure I've not missed anything because the 1 7/8" increase in overall length that the damper tubes will give me still seems a little short when compared to the length of the gaiter.

All good fun, yesterday I made a pair of fork spring locating bushes as per the exploded parts drawing to replace the thick plain washers that were fitted, (as supplied by AN and probably Norvil) :roll:

Regards Mick
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Mick D wrote:
I'm going to go through the parts lists with a fine tooth comb today to ensure I've not missed anything because the 1 7/8" increase in overall length that the damper tubes will give me still seems a little short when compared to the length of the gaiter.
You know you should use the long slider extensions/seal holders as well, right Mick?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Peter

Yes, I have the long extensions at around 4 1/2".

I've also received the long damper tubes :D Only to find that the caps for them are 26TPI as opposed to 28TPI as per the Commando ones I have :cry:

Can't wait to find out what unforseen issue will become evident when I get the caps next week :roll: :roll:

Still hoping someone can give me an indication of the fork length from the top of the upper crown to the centre of the wheel spindle - by calculation mine is going to come out at around 31"

Regards Mick
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Top of the top yoke to centre of the wheel spindle......

30 1/4" with both wheels on the ground, no weight on saddle.
31" on the centre stand with front wheel off the ground

Hope this helps Mick