G15 mk 2 gets to Burnham Beeches

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Stan Palmer

Re: G15 mk 2 gets to Burnham Beeches

Post by Stan Palmer »

It looks as though that nut could be accessed using a crows foot, often used on torque wrenches. I only have metric ones.
Stan
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Peter

How do you attach the timing disc to the crankshaft on the timing side? Do you use an expanding mandrel?

Regards Mick
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I attach a short section of tight fitting rubber pipe ( 2" length) to the end of the crankshaft and then push a bolt head into pipe to clamp the timing disc to with a washer / nut
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

:beer: :beer:
clive

Post by clive »

Expanding mandrels? I really am getting out of my depth, perhaps I will take the Norton engine out and replace it with a nice 350 longstroke AMC single!
:rofl:

I am awaiting supplies for all the seals before proceeding, seemed a bit silly not to fit them whilst the cover was off. Another basic question, there seems to be no facility for setting the tension on the mag chain, unless the stepped(not the correct engineering description I expect) top studs which seem to be fitted are to allow a small amount of movement.
next point the workshop manual in the archives recommends having a spare timing cover with an inspection hole cut into it to set the exhaust cam gear chain tension, This is because the idler gear/inlet cam drive is held one end by the cover and so may change the chain tension when the cover is fitted. It may do the same thing to the mag chain but no discussion of that in the manual. What a system, take a timing cover and cut a hole it it so it is then only usable as a special tool. Presumably the manual was written in the late 70s early 80s and second hand Atlas covers were 2 a penny.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Clive , see link for one of the special Norton tools from Andover Norton
This allows you to tension the camshaft chain and magneto
If you are keeping the bike , I'd recommend it

The magneto swings on the bottom bolt to tension the chain
Interesting that they have the bolt fitted from outside to inside , but I always fit the other way (mine has points housing rather than magneto, hence no advance mechanism visible)

Without the correct tool , you cant be sure that the chains are correct

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-de ... plate-tool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by g80csp11 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groily

Post by Groily »

+1 for the dummy partial timing cover. A v useful tool, and if there is any rock on the shaft when unsupported by the outrigger bushing, essential I'd say.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Another task added to the 'To Do' list - make a support plate while the engine is in kit form - £23.40 for a steel plate with four holes in it :o :roll:

Regards Mick
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

if you try torquing up the camshaft sprocket with out the tool or a cut cover there is a risk of the intermediate gear post breaking , all things you will lean with the Norton engine
Luckily mine is undergoing major surgery in the kitchen at the moment , getting it ready for the next 15 years of riding to rallies
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

g80csp11 wrote:if you try torquing up the camshaft sprocket with out the tool or a cut cover there is a risk of the intermediate gear post breaking
Thanks Peter

I hadn't considered that - I'll definitely make a plate now, (and maybe a tool to restrain the sprocket).

Regards Mick