G15 Mk 2 triple tree and fork arrangement

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
clive

G15 Mk 2 triple tree and fork arrangement

Post by clive »

I cannot seem to find a diagram of the Norton forks fitted to my 1967 G15Mk2. The problem I am trying to sort out is the way the adjusting ring is locked. I can adjust the bearing so there is no rock but I cannot see how the adjusting ring is locked in place. When I tighten up the top nut which I assume should be the locking nut it will go tight but the adjusting ring below will still turn. It seems to me the fork crown should be lower and then act as the spacer between the top nut and adjusting nut. I currently have a 0.225 inch gap. I am wondering if the problem is the hard rubber bushes that have been fitted above the headlight ears. These are 0.4 inch and may be stopping the top and bottom of the fork crown/triple tree closing up. I do not think that I could compress the rubber bush sufficiently to close up the 0.225 gap or how to do it if that was the correct one. Picture below. ideas please, thanks in advance
20200818_161201crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cbranni

Re: G15 Mk 2 triple tree and fork arrangement

Post by cbranni »

Is the bottom adjuster nut upside down?, the top fork crown should sit on top the hexagon not on the circular part, this nut is used to adjust out the play and the the upper nut is tightened down on to it. Photo from short roadholder 1961 Dommie, not sure if its same, it looks similar so may help you.
Colin

only dead fish go with the flow
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The rubber washers on mine are a lot thinner and are of a 'beading' format which fit over the tubes - the top lug bears directly on the adjuster nut.

There are also two washers that fit outboard of the bearings which space the headstock - do you have these fitted?

I'll post a photo tomorrow if it will help - one of today's jobs was to fit the headstock.

All of the above for a G15CSR - probably the same for yours but please check

Regards Mick
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Andover Norton have almost anything that wears out for G/N15's

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-dr ... ks-n15-g15
clive

Post by clive »

Many thanks everyone for the replies, also to Roy and local member David who also sent me photos offline. I am now convinced the top yolk is not sitting down properly and the reason is probably the rubbers above the headlight ears and the stanchions are pulled up too far through the lower triple tree. From Colin's photo it looks like I am also missing a spacer from steering damper too, which makes sense as I had decided it was going to need packing out with washers so it properly cleared the handlebars. Armed with this knowledge and the parts list I will be tracking down the right parts and see if I can get it all sorted. If not I will be back on here for more ideas! regards
clive
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Morning Clive,

If you closely at my photo I have put raising blocks in to lift the bars 7/8" this allows a better run for the cables over the fork tops when using straight bars but then I had to fit a spacer to allow the adjuster to clear the bars, so the spacer won't be in the spares list.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
clive

Post by clive »

Despite the slightly weird entry above I can report that the problem was entirely caused by the PO fitting a rubber encased oil seal instead of the correct rubber bush. After taking the stanchions out and removing them the crown fell into place. Parts on order from Andover Norton. I will be back when I hit the next snag!!!! :rofl:
clive
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

clive wrote:Despite the slightly weird entry above I can report that the problem was entirely caused by the PO fitting a rubber encased oil seal instead of the correct rubber bush. After taking the stanchions out and removing them the crown fell into place. Parts on order from Andover Norton. I will be back when I hit the next snag!!!! :rofl:
NO NO Not the PO it must have been the PPO owner. :lol:
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

Fairdo Roy, did not mean you, after all you pointed out a number of the problems when you delivered it! :rofl:
clive
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

My G15MkII was fitted with standard Norton fork seals above the headlamp "ears" and I refitted them when I changed the seals and seal holders and everything lined up fine. I did fit the correct rubber ones on my M18. Good fun these old bikes!