Rear Loop Bottom Stud Spacer

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Mick D

Rear Loop Bottom Stud Spacer

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm beginning to start assembly of my 65 G15 CSR and whilst the previous restorer seems to have done a pretty good job I like to confirm the finer details - sometimes not easy due to the lack of available documentation :roll:

There is a 3/16" ish spacer, (pn 029833), fitted to the rear loop bottom stud - when I dis-assembled the bike this spacer was installed between the rear loop and the front frame lower tube on the right hand side.
Rear Loop Spacer.png
I've been unable to find any reference to confirm this position is correct, can anyone suggest where this information and similar is available and if not, where do other G15 CSR owners have this spacer installed?

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Re: Rear Loop Bottom Stud Spacer

Post by Reynard24 »

Hi Mick
That's where all of my post ‘63 frames have that spacer fitted. My ‘64 M18 originally had it the other side of the frame and it handled appallingly with the feel of it trying to throw you off particularly when riding downhill. Moving the spacer to your shown position cured it but I can't see how such a small change could make such a difference.
Regards James
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks James

Your advice is backed up by others on here - I found a reference but the loop is referred to as a sub frame so didn't show in my searches.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

I found mine installed outside the footrest, on the timing side but I would not use that as advice! :rofl: Once removed I fitted it on the right hand side as you have, working I think on advice from Roy Bellett.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

i had a call today to ask should my G15 have one as it's missing :x
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

So what's the purpose of this spacer? located where the consensus suggests I can't see it having any effect - I have to spread the rear loop to fit it :?

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:Hi

So what's the purpose of this spacer? located where the consensus suggests I can't see it having any effect - I have to spread the rear loop to fit it :?

Regards Mick
I've just sent you a mail as it was me asking, my one is missing and I can't see it having much effect riding the bike. As it's meant to be there then I'd like to have one made and fitted but need dimensions.

Just started back on the bike. I have found a few minor issues that I'm hoping were the cause of minor issues I was having. However they are so small that I maybe clutching at straws. Still maybe all together they were enough. We'll see. :headbang:
raffles

Post by raffles »

Rob that last post were you thinking aloud or just daydreaming or maybe it was code
whatever it made no sense
Tony
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

raffles wrote:Rob that last post were you thinking aloud or just daydreaming or maybe it was code
whatever it made no sense
Tony
Made sense to me.. My spacer is missing and the person Mr B was referring to was also me. I'm back working on the G15 which has had several small issues each of which may have been causing a larger issue, mainly mechanical noises. The missing spacer is just another to add to the list. However for the life of me I really can't see what difference not having one makes. But if it's meant to be there I'd like to get one made and Mick has kindly sent the dimensions for me to get one made.

There are you now satisfied?
raffles

Post by raffles »

Just trying for a bit of humour
Tony