G15 CSR Gear Selection

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Mick D

G15 CSR Gear Selection

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm seeing conflicting information, (Bacon vs NOC Hybrids 1), with regard to the gear selection on a 1965 G15 CSR rear set configured, (rear pointing gear lever).

Should the selection be one up and three down or one down and three up?

The gearboxes were re-configured by modifying the cam plate, (the NOC Hybrids info states by reversing), does anyone know if this is just a case of removing the cam plate from the spindle, flipping it over and re-fitting it?

Also if anyone has a good photo looking down onto the gear lever it could help me determine whether mine is per the original design.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Re: G15 CSR Gear Selection

Post by ajscomboman »

They operate in the same way as a standard box, lift the lever up for first and then prod it down for the remaining gears. With the reverse camplate it all works backwards inside the box. I'll email a picture over the weekend.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

That's what I thought - I'll have to work out how to 'reverse' my gearbox.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If it hasn't got the reverse camplate you can't. But if I'm honest I'd not bother immediately because I find the reverse camplate confusing with the rear sets and in practice 1 down and the rest up is actually easier.
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

I believe Norvil can supply a reverse camplate
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

petert120r wrote:I believe Norvil can supply a reverse camplate
Yes they can or could, but as I have found it's confusing to my brain I don't know why, for the first few changes I have to think about it being the same way as a normal box, probably because the lever is reversed.