Kickstart return

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Mollbhan

Kickstart return

Post by Mollbhan »

I am sure this problem has cropped up before but not sure what to do about it, a 1961 G12 Matchless with the older kickstart return spring, the pin on the end of the spring has twice pulled out of the hole in the inner casing. The logical cure would seem to be to fit a pin in this hole and use the newer type spring but I think the newer spring has more coils than the old one ands may not fit anyway. Somebody must know of a successful remedy for this, bunjees just don't look good.
Joker_Bones

Re: Kickstart return

Post by Joker_Bones »

20211112_143006~2.jpg
20211108_163619~3.jpg
Here are a couple of pics for comparison...
Longer spring, shallower casing and bush by the look of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Fit a new spring?
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Thanks for the photos Joker they do show up some differences between the two types, I tried a new spring last time but I think the hole has got slightly elongated. Unless anybody knows of a better way I may end up with a dod of JB weld and a lot of hope.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I don't know what equipment you have... Drill out the enlarged hole, machine a new bush and fit with sleeve retainer?
Awkward place on the shoulder and not much meat between the hole and the kickstart bush.