AJS 31

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
greeneunos

AJS 31

Post by greeneunos »

Hi Guys
I am in the process of buying a 1960 AJS31 , the jampot dating says the frame is a road bike and 1957 but it has a duplex frame , , the reg book says registered 1990 but manufactured 1962 and i know it was restored many years ago frame number stars A55 thousand , does this sound right ?
thanks
g80csp11

Re: AJS 31

Post by g80csp11 »

if its a duplex frame , it must be 1960 onwards
I have a 600 engine in a duplex frame with 1961 running gear ie tank , deep mudguards etc.. , not unusual to have incorrect numbers

have you checked the registration number with V5 , do they match ? ( are the number all same font and in line )
duplex frame number are on the casting where duplex tubes come down below headstock . raised number are casting numbers , frame numbers are stamped

I would have thought 1960 frame number would be close to 76550 or greater , so sounds like its been restamped with 1957 single down tube number which would be much closer to 49350- 59492 without the A

a dating certificate would confirm factory records
greeneunos

Re: AJS 31

Post by greeneunos »

Hi
Thanks very much for the information , on closer inspection i think you are probably right , its looks like a casting number , the bike was restored /renovated by a private individual back in the early nineties and has now passed so can't ask him , the frame has been painted so the correct vin is probably under there, it says on the V5 declared manufactured 1962 and it deff looks to be correct in that and a non transferable reg number and first reg 1991 looks like it has just had the wrong information supplied to dvla back in the day , i'm sure not trying to mislead anyone just a mistake , present owner is hunting for the correct vin on the bike now , thanks again