New petrol tank

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CootsyUK

New petrol tank

Post by CootsyUK »

I know this has been asked before but I can't find any threads for it.
I might need a new petrol tank if I can't get my original one repaired to a good enough standard (I don't know anyone who can do it). It's been dented and holed top-rear right in the past. Someone has done a repair by welding in a patch of steel and without pulling it out, using filler to cover the repair.
The guy who's going to paint it for me says he can fill and cover it to a high standard but reckons there might be a vapour leak through the old repair. Sorting all that will be expensive so I'm wondering where I could get a replacement tank and how much?
Any ideas anyone???
Cheers.
Tony.
OEW591

Re: New petrol tank

Post by OEW591 »

Tony,

You could try a replica tank, available on Ebay from Indian manufacturers. I've not bought a G12 tank but did buy one for my 1938 G4. They are of variable quality, but if you buy an unpainted one, you can probably make it fit and petrol tight and then have it painted. The other option is to buy a used tank and that could be a bigger can of worms than the one you currently have. I'm not aware of anyone making new tanks in the UK, but others may know?

Alan
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If the tank is generally sound others have cut a piece out of the base for access to dress out the dent and then braze the piece back.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bitza

Post by bitza »

Dent Doctor based near Walsall West mids, did my g9 tank made a good job.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I agree with Spriddler. My '54 18S developed pinhole leaks, so I bought another tank at a good price. It had a couple of handlebar 'dings' and I wanted it blast cleaned inside to take tank liner. The cleaner (RD Cox of Reading, highly recommended) said the only way to properly clean the inside was to cut out the bottom and re-weld. I had this done at Heritage Motor Works, Eversley, near Reading (equally highly recommended) who did a great job, cutting out the bottom, removing the dings and after cleaning, welding bottom back - you could not see the join and no distortion whatsoever. I realise these recommendations are not particularly relevant to you in Cumbria, but look around. You also get the satisfaction of raising an original part from the dead!
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

I've bought an Indian tank for a 31csr, was actually pleasantly surprised. Bought it raw so I couid see any oddness, plunge tested in water for leaks and found none.
Sealed interior anyway and after two years all is clean and tight. I seem to recall having to run a tap through the fuel outlet holes, right pitch and tpi, just squeaky tight. Same with badge holes.
Mounting holes were pretty much spot on. I filed the rear one by hand to fit my frame.
Maybe I was lucky, but I'd do it again.
Will back trace the supplier if you're interested.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
CootsyUK

Post by CootsyUK »

Thanks for all these suggestions and info guys; I do appreciate it !
One thing is, I found a really good painter who can do a good job. It'll be a fair bit of filler etc' but at least it would still be the original part. The alternative of fixing and re-shaping the tank (looks like it's been in a war zone) could be pretty expensive unless I can find a reasonably local skilled man/firm who can do it.
I'm still thinking.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

There is a petrol tank for sale in the members spares section of this forum. Fits 31 car. Might be of interest to you. Cheers