front wheel pulling to one side

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
John Carney

front wheel pulling to one side

Post by John Carney »

Hi, I've noticed that the front wheel on my model 31 pulls the bike (slightly alarmingly) to the left, when the front brake is applied if moving slowly around a right hand corner.
I'm guessing this isn't normal ?
On taking the front wheel and brake off I've noticed that even with the adjusting ring fully tightened on the oil seal cup there is still quite a bit of play on the wheel spindle which I'm thinking may be the cause ?? Am i right in thinking that it should start to introduce friction onto the bearings when its fully tightened which is why it's backed off half a turn afterwards ?
If this is the case, does anyone know if it's possible if the ( bearing ring ? ) on the adjusting ring side might not be fully home ? I'm not certain from the manual if the bearing rings and wheel spindle is all one complete unit or 3 bits ? It's shown as 'wheel spindle complete 5 illustration 23 on the manual I'm looking at. Thanks,
John
SPRIDDLER

Re: front wheel pulling to one side

Post by SPRIDDLER »

John Carney wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:32 pm I'm not certain from the manual if the bearing rings and wheel spindle is all one complete unit or 3 bits ?
It's 3 bits............
100_1597 (640x460).jpg
100_1598 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

one trick you can try is to tap lightly with a hammer the adjuster in a circular motion, then adjust a bit more . often the thread will bind and the tapping on the adjuster will shock the tread enough to move a bit each time .
John Carney

Post by John Carney »

Thanks guys :) I got some help using the advise you gave and it's taken up the slack on the spindle now so the bikes back on the road :beer: