The dreaded centre stand

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
dave16mct

Re: The dreaded centre stand

Post by dave16mct »

On my model 20 the old spring wouldn't hold the new stand up so I did the split tube and jubilee clip thing and wound it round again which was bloody frightening! This worked ok but when I gave it a complete re-build I put a new spring in which is ok (just).
Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

When did you buy the spring, there was a batch of springs that weren't wound like the originals and we've just had new stock slightly stronger to cope with my stands. All my bikes have the original springs and they hold the stands in the clip easily.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I bought my spring on 1st August 2021. The old spring wouldn't lift the stand enough to reach the clip. Winding around again worked but it then came up with a massive clonk! I think it's ok with the new spring, I don't think it's bounced out of the clip yet. I know I've said it before but the new stand is just magic.
Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Sorry Dave

The question was to Gary not you, I knew you'd wound the spring round 1 more. I had 1 aftermarket spring that I inherited but it was useless. Went to the spares shed and found an old original, sorted!
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

I bought the spring from the club spares scheme at the end of October 2021.
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"