1961 G12 CSR Rubber Tank Mounts Front & Rear

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CAB

1961 G12 CSR Rubber Tank Mounts Front & Rear

Post by CAB »

Hello

Please can anyone confirm how the tank should be mounted to the frame on my 1961 G12CSR and the part numbers for the rubber parts?

Front
The tank has mounting studs (not bolts) at the front and the rear is attached with a rubber strap around the frame. The parts book suggests that the front should be mounted on 4 x 014995 "rubber petrol tank front bolt". Presumably one above & below the two front lugs on the frame with a large washer under the nut? The club spares website describes these as "Pad rubber thick tank mount". Is this correct? The perished crushed ones that came off (origin unknown) don't look particularly "thick" and are very soft. The club site also lists 014996 "Petrol tank rubber pad, thin, for fixing bolts in lowermost location" but the parts book lists these for the front on a G3 or G80 and rear on G3, G80 G80CS and G12CS not the G12CSR

Rear
Does anyone have a part number for the rear rubber strap? The parts book lists 1 x 026626 "Clip rear petrol tank rear bottom" but I'm not sure that this is correct. The spares scheme doesn't have any in stock under this number and £15 sounds a lot for what I presume is a large O-ring? The perished one that came off had a Hoover and a part number on it....
The rear of the tank doesn't have any mount to isolate it from the frame. There is a witness mark around the frame where it looks like something has been fitted. I can't see anything obvious in the parts book but the club spares site lists 027138 "Rear Petrol Tank Rubber Support.1960 ON". Is this correct for a 1961 CSR? It is a split circular block with an offset hole - presumably this fits around the frame tube?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

CAB
dave16mct

Re: 1961 G12 CSR Rubber Tank Mounts Front & Rear

Post by dave16mct »

Forget the 4 rubber pads you need 021174 which is a long rubber sleeve. You need a thin rubber pad under the frame bracket, then the large washer and nut. Should be a rubber pad above the bolt as well to prevent any metal to metal contact. You can use a 'Hoover' belt at the rear , I use a section of innertube. I put some rubber underneath, again some folded innertube will do. The correct donut is available.
Dave.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

CAB

Post by CAB »

Thanks Dave I will have a look at the link. By donut do you mean the split circular block with the off-centre inner hole?
Regards
CAB
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes that's it.
Dave.