Toffee on my engine

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Petorius

Toffee on my engine

Post by Petorius »

New owner of G12 CSR and new member to the club, i had hoped i would not be posting on the technical forum quite so soon not even having ridden the bike yet. My enthusiasm for the AMC experience took a bit of a hit at the weekend.

I recently purchased G12 CSR and went to change the oil in the 1960 engine at the weekend. The bike was sold to me as having a sweet running engine and told it had been in use last year.

Starting the bike to warm up the oil i had very little return to the tank, i changed the oil anyway (there was more oil in the sump than in the the tank), flushed out the tank, cleaned the tank (didn't seem bad at all), cleaned the tank strainer (some deposits but not horrendous), washed out the supply filter (seemed okay, no obvious significant deposits).

Started the bike up and again very little return, the tank oil level would drop and stopped the bike to drain the sump, refilled the tank and tried again with the same result.

Last night took the timing cover and oil pumps off and found that the drilling in the crankcase for oil feed to return pump was blocked with a brown material like a thick varnish, it looked like small pieces of toffee .

Whilst i am pleased that it appears i have found the problem i am less pleased that i have this unknown material in the bottom of the engine and no idea where it might have come from, i would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions.

My thoughts are to try and clean any remaining debris from the inlet by pushing a length of single core cable down it and flushing trough with something like carb cleaner. Can anybody see any issues with this approach?

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dodger

Re: Toffee on my engine

Post by dodger »

Looks like Wellseal jointing compound, I wouldn't trust this engine and would strip it down for a thorough clean.
Laurie
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Dodger could be right, Wellseal doesn't set but is supposed to be used sparingly. Usually lightly brushed on, it's great and doesn't need large amounts. On the other hand, it isn't the easiest to remove. Some use petrol and I use methylated spirits.

Johnny B
Petorius

Post by Petorius »

Thanks Chaps, i cleaned and flushed out and there does not seem to be any further material coming through. I run up and re flushed the oil tank, filters etc and changed oil.

I have a love hate relationship with Welseal, love it as a sealant but loath if i get it on my hands.

As you mention they really must have gone over the top if that is what it is.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Mating flanges need to be ground flat during an overhaul (temporarily remove dovels). Perfectly mating joints do not need a liquid gasket like Wellseal when a paper gasket is the intended seal.

- Knut