Rear wheel spindle assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CootsyUK

Rear wheel spindle assembly

Post by CootsyUK »

Hello.
I've just been trying to refit the rear wheel on my 1966/7 G12 CSR after getting new tyres fitted. I haven't run it since I got it and think there's something wrong or missing from the rear spindle assembly; I guess from the chain side. Has anyone got a similar bike with photos or drawing of how it should look? Being such a late model there's little info available and I could just do with a few pictures of the assembly. It has 19inch Norton wheels and hubs and when I tighten up the wheel nut the wheel goes very stiff to turn like something is being nipped; as if there's a spacer missing somewhere.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=15182
download/file.php?mode=view&id=15183
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Re: Rear wheel spindle assembly

Post by Groily »

The info is certainly a bit sparse on these last ones, with the final 'proper' twin engines being made in '66 I think (according to 'Twin Changes' in Tech Articles anyway).
There is a somewhat poor quality pic of the Norton Atlas rear spindle arrangement in the Archives, and also G15s etc. I imagine they are pretty much the same? Hard to see the exact arrangement and order of parts though, even blowing the thing up a bit:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... manual.pdf (on page 37)

Guessing, but I'd suggest maybe (?) the speedo gearbox is being squeezed against the hub when you do the axle nuts up. Sometimes, especially with repro speedo gearboxes, a spacer, or a thicker one, is needed between it and the hub to maintain clearance when everything is done up tight. I know I have had issues, for no apparent reason, upon replacement of Norton rear wheels, just as I have also had more serious troubles with the AMC design.
There are very good arguments in favour of gearbox-driven speedometer drives!
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Does your speedometer gearbox have the special spacer used on these later bikes?

Have a look at part number 22888 on the AMOC Parts website. This shows the spacer quite clearly. The Club doesn't sell the spacer separately but Steve at AMC Classic Spares does. Give him a call on 01462 811770 if you need one. Steve knows his AMC stuff inside out so should be able to help.
CootsyUK

Post by CootsyUK »

Thanks OEW591. I've had help from Steve Surbey before so I'll ring and try him again.