Siamese exhausts, what blue paint, p/chain adjuster

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
KennieJ

Siamese exhausts, what blue paint, p/chain adjuster

Post by KennieJ »

Hi,
further to Columbo John, Wed 9th on siamesed pipes.
Does anyone remember seeing a siamesed set, But with the left pipe crossing Inside the frame downpipes, before joining the right one.
I have only seen a photo, and thought it much more attractive.
Thats one thing.
Is the rear brake plate chrome cover available anywhere new, I can not find one, as mine is rather pitted, and no chrome left.
On a 1960 model, how does the primary chain g/box adjuster work, is arranged. The bits and pieces I got had the type fitted outside the o/s engine plate, to push or pull. I believe it should be between the engine plates plates from this year, under the tin cover, somehow. I can't think how it might be arranged, and I have'nt managed to get a photo of it.
And the blue tank colour, is it Leyland tractor blue RAL 5010, Ford tractor blue, US Dupont mediterranean blue. Or something else.
Cheers.
K Johnston
dave16mct

Re: Siamese exhausts, what blue paint, p/chain adjuster

Post by dave16mct »

The inside the frame siamese pipes were only for pre '60 G9 and G11. 1960 on G12 were outside. The rear brake cover is available from club spares. It comes with the rivets. The front chain adjuster pushes the gearbox forwards to adjust it. I'll try and add a picture.
Dave
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

KennieJ wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:22 pm And the blue tank colour, is it Leyland tractor blue RAL 5010, Ford tractor blue, US Dupont mediterranean blue. Or something else.
Is this from Christians Archive any help?.......? (Med Blue)

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... _codes.pdf

or this.......

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... ackson.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

IMG_5456.JPG

I'm not sure if the picture will show. I made this adjuster in stainless.
Dave.

PS obviously the picture doesn't show. The 'Place inline' box isn't there to click. What am I doing wrong?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

OK I've used Post Images so let's see if it's worked.....
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

KennieJ wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:22 pm Hi,
further to Columbo John, Wed 9th on siamesed pipes.
Does anyone remember seeing a siamesed set, But with the left pipe crossing Inside the frame downpipes, before joining the right one.
I have only seen a photo, and thought it much more attractive.
I have seen these on twin down tube frame bikes that were equipped quite a few years ago, I assume that as they were non standard most manufactures do not make them now, you may have to get a bespoke one made, it may be worth phoning Armours to see if the have a pattern.
KennieJ

Post by KennieJ »

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

The exhausts. I have a rusty silencer, so I was going to go to Armours for the set. I'll ask them.

AJS blue. I have that blue US paint code, and I think I asked the paint guy I go to here, he did'nt have the same named tinters, or something. So it was going to be a match to a photo. Just had a thought. I have the blue plastic piping from the club, maybe a match to that. Another number I just found, VLB6018. Although RAL5010 looks good.

The rear brake plate chrome cover. I looked in the club parts, and did'nt spot it. I'll look again. No, still can't find it. I'll phone them.

Dave16MCT. That's what I can't envisage. Your adjuster, a copy of the original, pushes, tilts, the box forward by pressure against the top mounting bolt. That slackens the chain. ? What about the other way. Is there a tapped hole in the cross bolt that the end of your adjuster threads into, then assuming there is a clear hole in your fixed stop, would allow for pulling back, what then locks the tightening nut. I made an s/s copy of the older version, which is what I had in among the bits, which moves the box forward, or back to tighen. Which of course is not right for the year. I have taken a shot of your photo anyway.
K Johnston
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's under wheels, rear. (022286)
CHROME COVER PLATE REAR BRAKE USE ALSO 900724 FOR RIVETS SET OF 6 TO ATTACH TO BRAKE PLATE
The adjuster bolt only pushes the box forward. To tighten the chain slacken the adjuster and pull the box back. Obviously don't forget to adjust the rear chain afterwards.
I bought the stainless siamese from Armours, fitted straight on.
Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

KennieJ wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:30 pm AJS blue. I have that blue US paint code, and I think I asked the paint guy I go to here, he didn't have the same named tinters, or something. So it was going to be a match to a photo. Just had a thought. I have the blue plastic piping from the club, maybe a match to that. Another number I just found, VLB6018. Although RAL5010 looks good.
Ken the shade of a photo would not be a true rendition, unless you have a sample of original tinware that has been stored out of the light it will be very difficult to say any shade is actually correct (big assumption is also that the factory was consistent in its shades as well), I went for a RAL shade that I liked on the basis that it is a current standard shade and easier to obtain should any future touch-up be required.
Columbo John

Post by Columbo John »

KennieJ wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:30 pm Thanks to all for the replies so far.

Dave16MCT. That's what I can't envisage. Your adjuster, a copy of the original, pushes, tilts, the box forward by pressure against the top mounting bolt. That slackens the chain. ? What about the other way. Is there a tapped hole in the cross bolt that the end of your adjuster threads into, then assuming there is a clear hole in your fixed stop, would allow for pulling back, what then locks the tightening nut. I made an s/s copy of the older version, which is what I had in among the bits, which moves the box forward, or back to tighen. Which of course is not right for the year. I have taken a shot of your photo anyway.
That caught me out when assembling the adjuster on my G12 as well, I was expecting the bolt to push the gearbox away from the engine but no...... it just seems counter intuitive to me. :?