Assembly of crank case

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Titch

Assembly of crank case

Post by Titch »

Hi, I’m just about ready to reassemble my AJS 31 motor, any suggestions as to what sealer is best for sealing the crank case halves ? Cheers
Mick D

Re: Assembly of crank case

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I always use Wellseal on joints - even use it on threads as a measure to stop them rattling apart if they lose torque.

Regards Mick
Groily

Post by Groily »

[quote="Mick D" post_id=239202 time=1636041503 user_id=109332
Wellseal
[/quote]

+1 for that. Excellent product I think.
I also have made very fiddly gaskets in fine gasket paper for my twins (to avoid using that small one for the filter chamber joint). Some use a linen thread or silk or something carefully laid between the halves with the jointing compound to hold it during assembly, but never tried that. Others have machined the c/cases to take an O ring round the filter chamber - haven't tried that either, but it's got to be the best route I'd have thought.

Just the standard gasket does work fine though, it's possible to overthink a lot of this stuff. Most oil leaks in this area turn out to be the blessed dynamo joint anyway on non-alternator engines!

'Biscuit', the late-lamented Alan Jacobs (RIP but still much-quoted) had a bit to say on this topic, see past threads, and his advice was second to none.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Historically I have used Wellseal and the round paper gasket, like Bill I have had great success using a full face gasket following "Biscuit's" recommendations, more recently I have been using ThreeBond and the round paper gasket
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello,
I have used succesfully Loctite 5188. Not a drop of oïl ! For the filter tunnel, an O ring. I have used Wellseal on the timing chest, and it was leaking, so I have used Loctite Silver Silicon, no problem. 5188 is not suitable for frequent dismantling, such as adjusting the ignition advance on a magneto bike. For the primary chaincase, I have used Wellseal, alone, as my gasket was wrong (for a single), and it was leaking as a basket ! Now, with the suitable gasket and Silicone Silver I have traces of red oil under the primary chaincase. But I use ATF oil, and finally I don't know if the seepage comes from the chaincase itself, or from the primary shaft of the gearbox.