model 31 wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
greasemonkey

model 31 wiring

Post by greasemonkey »

hi all,first post so be gentle with me,i have been into bikes all my life and i am 66 next month.i have owned a 1970 T120 bonneville since 1978.i also have a BSA C11 that i have owned since 1990 and an AJS model 31 also in my possession since 1990.the little beezer i have kept for the occassional run out around the local villages.but the triumph and the AJS have been stored in preservative gunge for 20 years and 30years respectively.the triumph i have recommissioned and is back on the road running lovely, just needs a little cosmetic work.now on to the AJS.i picked this up from a fellow motor trade friend for a very small sum as he was sick of the sight of it.i took it out for the occassional run but lost interest in it so i just stored it up for the next 30 years.i decided to recommission it about a month back.its been on my motorcycle lift ever since and have got it running after stripping and cleaning the magneto.its a bitsa ,this bike, the engine has an alternator with a magneto which i believe it would not have had originally.the wiring is a complete mess and needs completely renewing.despite running a garage business for 30 years wiring is definately not my strong point.is there a wiring diagram for magneto/alternator bikes or even a wiring loom i can buy .any advice would be much appreciated,cheers greasemonkey
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: model 31 wiring

Post by Eamonn »

Like most people here, I would strongly recommend you join the owners club (full details at www.jampot.com/membership.asp) as this will give you access to all sorts of technical information and the ability to buy spares from our scheme at www.amoc-parts.com

A twin with alternator and magneto is not unusual depending on the year - you can find the manufacture year of the engine by looking at the first two digits of the engine number, hopefully the log book will agree!

A list of wiring looms can be seen at https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... tegory=118 - there's quite a few so you will need to be sure of the manufacturer year.
Corners like a Lego man
greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

hi Eamonn,thanks for your reply.i have taken your advice and joined the club.as said my bike is a bitsa.it has 1959 g12 crankcases ,lucas k2E magneto with alternator on the crankshaft.the bike was registered in 1961.i just want the 6v system.is this the harness i need 900566 WIRING LOOM MAGNETO TWIN 1962.?.i would like to renew the rectifier at the same time ,does the club sell those please?. cheers greasemonkey
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Kevin, welcome to the club. You will need to email Eamonn the webmaster on webmaster@jampot.com to get your login greasemonkey linked with your membership. Without doing that you will have difficulty in buying anything from the spares dept. Once done your posts will appear straight away too rather than waiting for moderation.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

As Eamonn says. And Welcome to the Club!
Trawl down and see page 72 of PART 8 of the attached Lucas AC schematics for a 'typical' set-up for a mag alternator machine. It will probably stand comparison with the loom you are thinking of, or it should do!
However, if you are doing the job from scratch and want 'reliable and simpler', you MIGHT want to use a modern regulator/rectifier unit instead of using a simple modern bridge rectifier (available in 6v if you prefer to stay there), and possibly look at other upgrades. Plenty of help available on that too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

thanks all for your replies.does anyone know if this 900601 RECTIFIER SOLID STATE REPLACES LUCAS 47111 be a direct fit with the aforementioned 900566 WIRING LOOM MAGNETO TWIN 1962 loom please..
Last edited by greasemonkey on Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Kevin.
You'll find the original factory Owners and Workshop manuals (incl. wiring diagrams) plus the Spares list under 'Books' here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

There's also a great deal more under the other headings, e.g. 'Editorial' .......'Technical' etc.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

hi all,just an update to day i have aquired a loom and other parts for my bike from the club.hopefully time permitting i will get the wiring sorted this coming week,cheers greasemonkey.
clive

Post by clive »

greasemonkey wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:32 pm hi all,just an update to day i have aquired a loom and other parts for my bike from the club.hopefully time permitting i will get the wiring sorted this coming week,cheers greasemonkey.
good luck, its still warm enough for us softy southerners to go for a ride!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

yes Clive, had a ride out on my old bonneville,very nice too in the sunshine.the AJS now has fully working electrics and is charging nicely.just a few more bits to do and i will have a test ride,it was 30 years ago since i rode it last ,cheers greasemonkey