Clutch stuck

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
John Carney

Clutch stuck

Post by John Carney »

Finally got the engine going but the clutch is stuck. Does anyone have any ideas to free it other than dismantling ? the bike has not been used for many years. for info, It will go into gear OK with the engine running and back wheel off the ground, I had hoped this might free it up. If it does have to be dismantled any tips or pitfalls worth knowing would be appreciated. Thanks John
dave16mct

Re: Clutch stuck

Post by dave16mct »

I presume you've pulled in the clutch lever and kicked before starting the engine? Some members have had success tying the lever back to the bars and leaving overnight when it's stuck fast.
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You could try putting it into first and rocking the bike backwards and forwards repeatedly whilst the clutch lever is pulled in, (easier if you have a pal to pull / push the bike while you keep it upright and the lever in ;)

Regards Mick
John Carney

Post by John Carney »

Thanks, I've tried both of your advice but it's still jammed fast. I'll give it another day with the lever tied back and then rocking, but otherwise I think i'll have to take it apart.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I'm a bit confused. With the clutch lever tied back, this suggests the trust rod may be seized up. check that is free before pulling all the clutch apart.
Perhaps take all the slack up on the cable adjuster the see if the lever will pull back at all.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Or is it that the mechanism is working fine but plates are all glued together?
If so, maybe combine lever-in rocking with some gentle heat into inspection hole. Using hair dryer or similar?
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

On my M30, in the sixties, stuck clutch was frequent in winter. I used to start the engine, push the bike, put in 1rst, and open the thottle while braking...Do you have a kill switch on the bars ?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have had both thrust rod size and clutch glued up. The glued up clutch was on a G12 CSR.
It had undergone a long restoration, when finished the clutch was OK, but the engine leaked badly.
It also sumped a lot of oil into the chain case. 2/3 months later I got John Bolton to sort my engine out.
The clutch plates were all glue up, stuck fast and had to be replaced.
John Carney

Post by John Carney »

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. :) I have taken the clutch plates out and they were bonded together. I managed to carefully pry each one apart and clean everything up with brake cleaner. Rubbed a smear of oil on them and reassembled. refilled with 10/40 so it's just touching the bottom of the chain, test ride, and fortunately it looks like that was the issue.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Oil is to lubricate chains and clutch bearings. Years ago when cleaning clutch plates or stop slipping, you dusted the plates with fullers earth powder.