Clutch stuck

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
clive

Re: Clutch stuck

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:53 am Oil is to lubricate chains and clutch bearings. Years ago when cleaning clutch plates or stop slipping, you dusted the plates with fullers earth powder.
Interesting Rob I wonder if the modern clutch plate material is different. I have noticed on two of my bikes that if all the oil has leaked from the primary chaincase the clutch starts to slip after a bit of time in traffic. Put oil back in and the problem goes. Perhaps it helps keep the plates cooler. Another section member has had the same experience.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:36 pm
Rob Harknett wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:53 am Oil is to lubricate chains and clutch bearings. Years ago when cleaning clutch plates or stop slipping, you dusted the plates with fullers earth powder.
Interesting Rob I wonder if the modern clutch plate material is different. I have noticed on two of my bikes that if all the oil has leaked from the primary chaincase the clutch starts to slip after a bit of time in traffic. Put oil back in and the problem goes. Perhaps it helps keep the plates cooler. Another section member has had the same experience.
I think the corks were cork Clive. Oil would help cooling. Overheating would cause slip and corks would get glazed.
If I get clutch slip, I clean the plates with petrol. Dry them off, roughing them up a bit with fine sand paper removing any glazing. Fullers earth was use to dust the corks and soak up any oil left behind. The clean dry clutch would then bite not slip. That is more or less, but in fact more than AMC advise you should do to prevent clutch slip, in work shop manuals. They do not say use Fullers earth to soak up any remaining oil in the corks.
They say, allow to dry off
Ashampoo_Snap_05 October 2021_12h53m35s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

My point was Rob that modern clutch plates are almost certainly not cork. I certainly have never done anything with Fullers earth not even in the cat litter tray. :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix