G12 CSR Rear Wheel Spindle

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Kevb

G12 CSR Rear Wheel Spindle

Post by Kevb »

Hi,

I thought it was about time that I publicly embarrassed myself and asked for your help please.

I decided to change the chain and didn't take a photo first, thinking how difficult can it be. I've lost count of the number of times that thought process has slapped me in the face.

I assume that it is a quick release as it only has a nut one side but my problem is that the spindle seemed to turn along with the nut. It eventually stopped as the nut tightened up. The spindle is now protruding about 1/2 inch.

Is this normal?

I have added some photos and hope that they explain my ramblings. Photo 1 shows the tippex at 12 o@Clock
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Thank you,

Kev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: G12 CSR Rear Wheel Spindle

Post by clive »

I cannot comment on the spindle length but your spindle is missing the bar. You can see the hole where it should be fitted in picture 2 this allows you to hold it still whilst undoing the nut the other end. I think the hole is threaded.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Kevb

Post by Kevb »

Hi Clive,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I assume that I need to loosen the nut in pic 1 and try to push the spindle through to engage with the cap in pic 2.
Cheers,
Kev
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The area around the speedo gearbox looks wrong, the thread on the flanged sleeve which locates the gearbox should be slightly proud of the nut, yours looks recessed.

I'd strip the spindle out and ensure you have all of the associated parts in the correct order and orientation. It's been covered many times on here, do a search ;)

Regards Mick
Kevb

Post by Kevb »

Thanks Mick