1959 AJS 31 DeLuxe DYNAMO ID

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
gpo746

1959 AJS 31 DeLuxe DYNAMO ID

Post by gpo746 »

Hello , First post here and new member to the club. Could anyone please enlighten me as to which model E3L dynamo my bike should have? At the moment there is a E3H? M? fitted . I cant read all the letters as it is pitted . The Dynamo does not seem to work . It is currently 6v (+) earth but I want to convert it to 12v . I have tried searching the forum and I cant find it. Thanks in advance
MalcW

Re: 1959 AJS 31 DeLuxe DYNAMO ID

Post by MalcW »

Hi

According to the manual it should be an E3L-LI-0.

If it doesn't work it may need flashing. You can also check for output by removing the wires from the D and F terminals, bridge the D and F together, and run a wire from the bridge via a bulb to earth. A 12v headlamp bulb gives more resistance than a 6v one. The bulb should light up from a fast tickover. I had intermittent charging issues with mine, which turned out to be a dodgy connection one one of the split bullet connectors where the wires plug into the D and F terminals.

Malc
Groily

Post by Groily »

Welcome to the Club.

As MalcW says for the 'correct' model and the basic testing routine . . .
Any E3L fitted with the correct drive end plate and bearing retainer will do, but the armature has to be the sort with the parallel nose and keyways for a pinion (not tapered for a sprocket per BSAs etc). Will run quite fine at 12v, too, although a few more rpm needed to get to kick-in voltage unless you fit it with replacement '12v' parts. A decent regulator is a must though. Plenty about them on here . . . and some differing opinions. I like DVR2s myself, others prefer the V Reg item.
An E3H or E3HM isn't really suitable for being shorter than the space on the crankcases, lower-powered, and not suitable for 12v conversion.

You'll probably get familiar with what everyone refers to as the Archives pretty soon! A huge repository of all the workshop manuals, tech data etc for a huge range of AMC machines. Lucas Parts lists are there too, and there are more hours of reading than than anyone could shake a stick at.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Groily wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:44 pm Welcome to the Club.
Will run quite fine at 12v, too, although a few more rpm needed to get to kick-in voltage unless you fit it with replacement '12v' parts. A decent regulator is a must though. Plenty about them on here . . . and some differing opinions. I like DVR2s myself, others prefer the V Reg item.
I should have mentioned - mine runs on 12v positive earth, using a DVR2P regulator and LEDs all round. No problem with riding with lights always on. I have indicators too, not original but for safety/practicality they're worth having.

Malc
gpo746

Post by gpo746 »

Hello Malc, Yes, I have the spares book for that year and E3L-LI-O is quoted BUT later in the book it states a different one, thats what confused me. I will get a DVR2 reg as they seem to be better than the Wassell ones . I am keen to keep the bike original, not showroom as the previous owner kept it like this. He is still with us and indeed a member who kindly stacked a big pile of Jampot mags on me ! He is a family friend and has known me since I was a baby . He owned the bike as a second owner from 1965 and I am her new custodian.
I was hoping for Rufforth park to be open but alas I have been told its not going to be. I will source an appropriate one as I thought the 45watter was inadequate to begin with. I also intend running with std tungsten bulbs .
Thank you for your advice and I will indeed try flashing it just to get her charging for now.
gpo746

Post by gpo746 »

Ok, just checked the 1959 parts book again and it states E3l-LI-O - EXCEPT Models 20 & 31 ..Help! ... SO what have people got on their bikes ? Really getting baffled now . I have nothing to compare with . Any help would be appreciated thanks
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

gpo746 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:21 am Ok, just checked the 1959 parts book again and it states E3l-LI-O - EXCEPT Models 20 & 31 ..Help! ... SO what have people got on their bikes ? Really getting baffled now . I have nothing to compare with . Any help would be appreciated thanks
I think that is because they would have been the "Alternator" and coil ignition models.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Yes.
If you look at the Lucas parts lists for 1959 you'll see that the coil ignition parts are described as 'except DL and Competition models'.
Coils go with alternators for AMC bikes generally speaking, ergo magneto and dynamo on the 650 De Luxe and comp versions but not on the standard version.
I think, not sure, engine numbers have an 'L' in them for de luxe models, my '61 Mod 31 does anyway. Hardly necessary given the very different shape of the castings, but no harm dotting i's and crossing t's!
Mag and alternator is probably the ideal for some people, as on some Triumphs and Nortons, and can be achieved by swapping out the distributor on alternator versions; much harder to go the other way though. 'Can't have everything' I suppose.
But the point is, any E3L dynamo with the keyed shaft for a pinion and the correct bearing retainer plate will be just fine if set for correct rotation and your preferred polarity.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Groily wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:34 am Yes.
If you look at the Lucas parts lists for 1959 you'll see that the coil ignition parts are described as 'except DL and Competition models'.
Coils go with alternators for AMC bikes generally speaking, ergo magneto and dynamo on the 650 De Luxe and comp versions but not on the standard version.
I think, not sure, engine numbers have an 'L' in them for de luxe models, my '61 Mod 31 does anyway. Hardly necessary given the very different shape of the castings, but no harm dotting i's and crossing t's!
Mag and alternator is probably the ideal for some people, as on some Triumphs and Nortons, and can be achieved by swapping out the distributor on alternator versions; much harder to go the other way though. 'Can't have everything' I suppose.
But the point is, any E3L dynamo with the keyed shaft for a pinion and the correct bearing retainer plate will be just fine if set for correct rotation and your preferred polarity.
In true AMC style there are always exceptions and the 63 CSR being one along with G15CSR, alternator and mag on those.
Groily

Post by Groily »

[quote=ajscomboman post_id=237523 time=1630163291 user_id=95324
In true AMC style there are always exceptions and the 63 CSR being one along with G15CSR, alternator and mag on those.
[/quote]

Spot on Rob, as you always are. Which was why I put 'generally speaking' 'cos there always are indeed. Norton influence trickling through maybe??
I run my P11 with a mag too, tho' it wasn't made like that obviously, just my ideal for 'minimal leccy spaghetti'.