1959 AJS 31 DeLuxe DYNAMO ID

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
gpo746

Re: 1959 AJS 31 DeLuxe DYNAMO ID

Post by gpo746 »

Groily wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:34 am Yes.
If you look at the Lucas parts lists for 1959 you'll see that the coil ignition parts are described as 'except DL and Competition models'.
Coils go with alternators for AMC bikes generally speaking, ergo magneto and dynamo on the 650 De Luxe and comp versions but not on the standard version.
I think, not sure, engine numbers have an 'L' in them for de luxe models, my '61 Mod 31 does anyway. Hardly necessary given the very different shape of the castings, but no harm dotting i's and crossing t's!
Mag and alternator is probably the ideal for some people, as on some Triumphs and Nortons, and can be achieved by swapping out the distributor on alternator versions; much harder to go the other way though. 'Can't have everything' I suppose.
But the point is, any E3L dynamo with the keyed shaft for a pinion and the correct bearing retainer plate will be just fine if set for correct rotation and your preferred polarity.
Excellent info Thanks , I believe mine should be an Anti-clock rotation, I will try getting hold of an E3L Dynamo soon .
Groily

Post by Groily »

gpo746 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:56 pm I believe mine should be an Anti-clock rotation
Yes, anti-clockwise.
When looking for a dynamo, don't worry which way the arrow on the casing points unless you are counting rivets to the nth degree - they're easily reversible. AMC and Triumph twins go anti-clock, Norton twins clockwise, BSA twins anti - but different armature nose with taper for sprocket.

From page E4 here you can see the bearing retainer type that you'll need - Lucas part 200748, which takes oil seal 188614: http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/libr ... 0chart.pdf
You may well have those bits on the end of the short dynamo you've already got?
If you find an E3LM (for magdynamo) then note that there is a threaded section outboard of the drive end bearing for a screw-on collar, whereas our dynamos have a plain section for a light press-fit collar. But it's possible to fettle if that's the only option. The M version has a triangular retainer, part # 200262, which won't fit the bike.
Some have a one-piece tin cover over the brush end, some have a bakelite end cap with a steel band. Either sort will be good . . . unless it's a rivet-thing! Tin covers are easier to live with, many believe.

If there are any autojumbles up and running, a used example should be easy enough to find. For one that works, with new bits in, someone like Paul Dunn at Dunns Dynamos would be an easy way to go.
For a regulator, I'd use a DVR2, some would go for a V Reg. Cheaper options exist, but you get what you pay for. Most modern ones can be fitted quite neatly into the original Lucas mechanical regulator's box.

Good luck!
gpo746

Post by gpo746 »

Yes Groily , I intended to go to Rufforth Park Auto Jumble but a pal told me its STILL not on . I note what you say about the DVR2 and that was the one I was planning on getting . They are £50 ish but, as you say , you get what you pay for. I have obtained a Lucas NOS sundry Kit for the E3L which has all the right nuts , bolts ,screws and 2 odd shaped woodruff keys and other bits n bobs for a rebuild . I prefer the look of the tin cover . I am not a rivet counter !. My bike was supposed to be blue from the factory but the previous owner painted it black in 1965 ... I bought it from him last year . Interestingly there is a letter he wrote to the Lucas factory in 1966 (ish) asking if there was a 12v dynamo kit to which Lucas replied that there wasnt one. Well, I have also bought a Lucas 12v Field winding and 12v armature Part No.200712(A) as the 200712 was 6v the (A) is the 12v version .
Thanks for the good Luck...I will need it !
gpo746

Post by gpo746 »

Ok SO..my 12v armature turned up but it only has 1 keyway on the end of the shaft. I have seen drive cogs with a double keyway should mine have 2 ?. would it be ok to just use one keyway? I would think it is but just double checking .
Groily

Post by Groily »

It'll be fine with just the one. Lots of, if not all, commonly available armatures only have the one and things hang together, no problem
gpo746

Post by gpo746 »

Groily wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:20 pm It'll be fine with just the one. Lots of, if not all, commonly available armatures only have the one and things hang together, no problem
Great , I bought a Wassell one they claim it was made in England on the original Lucas tooling 200712a , 12v, 178mm long unthreaded shaft
Groily

Post by Groily »

Well, I doubt the lathe that makes the spindles is one from the Lucas factory, but you never know! That said, the principal dimensions are correct. You might find the spindle dia on the brush end is a tad tight for the bearing though - often has to be lightly 'dressed' to get the little bearing on without undue force (and risk to its health).
Wassell commission and distribute the available options - 'UK-made' being one, and the 'a' version being a modern fine-wound design, using the higher resistance field coil that goes with. Same spindle, more & thinner wire.
Lucas never made a 12v option back in the day. (The standard '6v' bits work perfectly well at 12v too, just need a few more revs to kick in, which is fine on a Twin. Both my twins run that way.)
gpo746

Post by gpo746 »

Thanks for the heads up on the bearing. I can put it in the lathe and use some fine wet and dry to help with that issue. Yes, I got the matching 12v field coil too. There is a E3LM dynamo winging its way to me which has a shorted armature so perfect for a rebuild . once I have all the parts I will take lots of photos of them and the rebuild and post the results on the forum.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

ajscomboman wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:08 pm
In true AMC style there are always exceptions and the 63 CSR being one along with G15CSR, alternator and mag on those.
By 1963 AMC had switched to 12V electrics for the big twins, which required an alternator.

CS and CSR models generally had magnetos. A couple of exceptions are the 1967-69 P11 and the 1967/68 G15CS and CSR.
I believe AMC were forced to abandon magnetos as Lucas stopped making them.

-Knut