CSR lightswitch short

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
jim griff

CSR lightswitch short

Post by jim griff »

Hi all, I'm after some electrical help in way of a short to earth on my 650 CSR twin. I recently converted it to 12 volt electrics, joined up two of the three alternator wires to give my 12 volt output and fitted a solid state reg rectifier. Ive had a bleed to earth since, so have commenced going through a process of elimination to isolate the root cause. All the harness cables are fine, but after several potential suspects have been removed from circuit , (horn, rear brake etc) Its looking like the detachable light switch is where its happening, as my battery isn't flat after the usual time period for it to run flat. The battery is fully charged with the light switch plug disconnected.

There are several wires in the light switch circuit harness to the plug, and I'm wondering if I can simplify this by removing any? The CSR has a magneto, so this isn't part of the circuit, but I'm wondering if it has the emergency start circuit of the coil ignition models wired in as standard and is bleeding through this? Any thoughts on what could be the earth point through the switch, and what I can do to remedy this?

P.s my stator was a new encapsulated three wire 6volt item.
Mick D

Re: CSR lightswitch short

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It could be leakage through your regulator / rectifier - try disconnecting the battery negative line.

Regards Mick