1966 G12 Help with numbers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
nomisimon

1966 G12 Help with numbers

Post by nomisimon »

I'm about to buy a 1966 Matchless G12 but it seems the records for this model aren't available.

Can anyone guide me on how to check the engine and frame numbers are correct for the year?

The on-line club checker excludes those dates.

Thanks

Simon
Thank God for Southby
clive

Re: 1966 G12 Help with numbers

Post by clive »

The dating page answers your question.
"WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT USE THIS SYSTEM FOR BIKES THAT ARE NOT LISTED ABOVE.
The factory records on some models are sparse and it is best that you contact our Machine Dating officer first on dating@jampot.com - you will be advised whether there is any information available for your machine."
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
nomisimon

Post by nomisimon »

Hi Clive.

Thanks...that's why I didn't use the system!

I realised from various sources, including the club page, that records were sparse. What I was hoping for, was someone who could let me know what the engine and frame number ranges might be for that model and year.

Since my post, I've been in touch with a parts supplier I use frequently...he confirmed that the numbers within the range for the year.

I will get in touch with the dating officer to see if records actually exist for this bike in due course.

Regards

Simon
Thank God for Southby
CootsyUK

Post by CootsyUK »

I've had the same problem with my 1967 CSR, they're even harder to date. I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. I managed to get a certificate of authenticity from the club but it's come back as 1966. Seems there simply aren't any records from those final years.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

We Would not offer a certificate of authenticity if we did not have the factory record, i think what you received was a dating certificate to allow you to get the bike registered,
Roy
nomisimon

Post by nomisimon »

Hi CootsyUK. It turns out that the seller had quite a bit of provenance with the bike, right back to the green log book. It looks like everything is original and correct...including the original 'D' reg from new. I believe they stopped making Matchless in 1966, but if yours was in stock for a while, it might get a 1967 reg. My cousin believes he has the very last 350 to roll off the production line. Cheers, Simon. P.S. I bought the bike :)
Thank God for Southby
CootsyUK

Post by CootsyUK »

Thanks Roy and yes you're right, my mistake.

Yes Simon, I think you're right as well. I always had a suspicion that my bike would have been made 1966 but assembled or registered and sold 1967.