G12 DL colour scheme

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Eamonn
Webmaster

G12 DL colour scheme

Post by Eamonn »

I'm away from my reference books at present, so can anyone help with the year that the G12DL started with the red and white (cream?) colour scheme? Although the G12DL was first made in '58, I think the two colour option only came in later, so if someone could confirm that would be great!
Corners like a Lego man
G15 Roy

Re: G12 DL colour scheme

Post by G15 Roy »

From the changes of twins year by year 1959

On the Matchless models mudguards, oil tank and tool box could be arctic white (instead of black) with the choice of an arctic white tank with chrome panels or a two-colour white-over-red tank. Blue formed the alternative AJS colour with light grey for the lower portion of the two-tone tank. A chrome plated strip separated the two tank colours in each instance.
Roy
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Thank you!
Corners like a Lego man
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

G15 Roy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 am From the changes of twins year by year 1959

On the Matchless models mudguards, oil tank and tool box could be arctic white (instead of black) with the choice of an arctic white tank with chrome panels or a two-colour white-over-red tank. Blue formed the alternative AJS colour with light grey for the lower portion of the two-tone tank. A chrome plated strip separated the two tank colours in each instance.
I have the 1960 AJS version with the cream and blue colour scheme, not sure if it's the original factory paint though, probably unlikely as the mudguards are fibre glass.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

My 1959 Model 31 has a plain blue tank with the zig zag side chrome strips, I queried this with it's previous and first owner the late John Drudge and John assured me that this is how the bike left the factory.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

MikeM. wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:24 pm My 1959 Model 31 has a plain blue tank with the zig zag side chrome strips, I queried this with it's previous and first owner the late John Drudge and John assured me that this is how the bike left the factory.
There is M31DL, 61 I think in the National Motorcycle Museum. The top of the tank, oil tank, battery box and mudguards were cream and the underside of the tank blue, basically the inverse of mine, strange?