1962 Rear Wheel Spacers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Andy G

1962 Rear Wheel Spacers

Post by Andy G »

I'm not sure I have the rear left side set up quite right - would someone kindly take a look at the image and let me know.
Basically I rebuilt using what came with the bike, but it was all kinda thrown together previously so nothing I could trust.
The manual appears to show two sleeves outside the brake backing plate, then a washer and a single locking nut. No indication where the suspension yoke sits in the mix.
Manual Rear Wheel Spacers.jpg
Assembled, there seems to be a <1mm of spindle visible beyond the end of an inner sleeve. (The one that actually sits in the yoke) This gap is much less than the large washer that is fitted immediately outside the backplate, so without this washer, the inner sleeve would be proud of the yoke. I can't see the washer in the manual at all, but that' s where I found it!

RrWhl Spacers.png
Then outside the yoke I have another spacer which has a lip at one end, which is larger than the gap in the yoke so can't fit in there...and I have added a washer before the securing nut. This spacer appears to have scoring as if it has rotated with the wheel at some point, or possibly even some rough turning work - is that the remains of a thread against the yoke face?

So question is (are): Do I have the right bits, too many, or not in the right order?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andy G on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Mick D

Re: 1962 Rear Wheel Spacers

Post by Mick D »

Hi Andy

Can't see the photos, is it a standard or QD wheel?

On my non QD wheel one spacer fits over the brake plate spindle and bears on the inside of the swinging arm fork, the stop switch bracket follows then another spacer which acts as a bearing surface for the chain adjuster, a washer and nut complete the installation.
Rear Wheel Spindle.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Hmm, can't see your photos either!!

However what you describe sounds very similar in order to my non QD set up. Tho I know I am missing a stop switch bracket.

The wheel seems centralised and nothing is binding up so I'll keep as is. Hopefully the images glitch will resolve.

Thanks Mick
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Andy

Stop switch bracket drawing here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Do- ... Madden.pdf

Regards Mick
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Ah, yes I see now! The absence of stop switch plate explains the step on the end of the outer spacer.
My phot has broken but I'll replace this eve.
But it appears all about right.
Thanks again Mick.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Trying again with image, which agrees with your own - mostly.
From your phot Mick, I can now see how the reduced "step" on the outer sleeve fits into the brake switch plate (my plate is missing and the sleeve the wrong way around), but I think I need to remove the extra washer currently against the chromed backing plate and see if I can still assemble without locking it all up. I'm a bit intrigued to see what that does to the whole alignment.
I seem to have a slightly longer wheel spindle than yours, but hopefully that's not anything I've missed out on the other side - pretty sure it's correct, I've checked it that many times!
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

So I stripped down and removed the extra wssher from against the chromed backing plate and found that without it the plate is noticeably loose. So it's back in place again while I figure out why the stepped spacer that that protrudes through the backing plate from the inside doesn't stabilise.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Andy G wrote:why the stepped spacer that that protrudes through the backing plate from the inside doesn't stabilise.
Hi Andy

Your spacer that's supplemented by the washer doesn't look original, the original ones have an annular groove central on the external surface. I've just had a go at measuring my original one, (not too easy when installed), and it's around 25/32" thick.

Here's a photo of my rear spindle and components pre restoration, (and in the wrong order/ orientation), but it my give you a pointer to where your issue lies:
Rear Spindle.png
Regards Mick
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Thanks Mick, I can confirm the spacer and washer combined match exactly your measured 25/32, so I guess a po lost the original and made up a collection to fit. One less thing to wonder about.
Hopefully DVLA will send me a v5 soon and stop me from endlessly tinkering while I wait!!