Speedo advice AJS 31

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Gibbo

Speedo advice AJS 31

Post by Gibbo »

As a new classic owner I'm still learning lots about my bike (AJS 31 1960). I have tried searching the forum but don't seem to be able to find the answer to my current question.
Could someone tell me how I tell what type of speedo I have on my bike (magnetic or not). Also is there anyway that I can remove the small piece of broken speedo cable that has been left in the speedo drive (when the cable snapped on my last amble around the dales!). The brass fittings on the drive look like they are a press fit and I don't want to attempt to prise them out if there is another way. :headbang:
Thanks
Andy
Richard Mills

Re: Speedo advice AJS 31

Post by Richard Mills »

Would a strong magnet do it?
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Thanks Richard, I've tried that, but without luck. I'll remove the drive from the bike and try again with lots of paraffin and shaking too
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

When the speedo is a Smiths, look for a code SSM (magnetic) or SC (chronometric) at the dial face. A forum search for "speedo magnetic chronometric" will show you this hint and probably more useful info.
Albert
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

aobp11 wrote:When the speedo is a Smiths, look for a code SSM (magnetic) or SC (chronometric) at the dial face. A forum search for "speedo magnetic chronometric" will show you this hint and probably more useful info.
Albert
Thank you Albert, very useful information. I now know mine is SSM ( magnetic) :)