oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
GSAX1

Re: oil filter

Post by GSAX1 »

Oil will also be able to seep past threads of the oil filter cap, thus bypassing the ball valve, and run down to the center main bearing.
Ib-Denmark

Post by Ib-Denmark »

OK
Life is not always that easy :oops:
For the moment i will then stay with my newly purchased Redline_7000 anti wet sump valve.
Regards Ib
ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I have not posted on this thread so far, but have been reading with interest as I have been talking about all this on another thread. I won't muddy the water by saying anything other than this =

It would be great if someone "100% in the know" could collate all the info, from personal experience, on the threads here and from the articles in the "tech section" (especially the excellent input from Ray Spencer) into a definitive "how to" re this perennial subject. I guess it would be one of the most popular reads in the twins section of this forum.

I look forward to the day when I understand the insides of my motor as much as I do my "other" steed. Whispers = BSA B33
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, with a G12, near Chester in the UK
ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Actually, on reading and understanding this a bit more, it seems to me that if oil cannot get past the pump (assuming a re-con / modified unit is in place) then it cannot be getting to any valves, so the answer is (almost certainly) shell out for a Ray Spencer modified pump ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, with a G12, near Chester in the UK
GSAX1

oil filter

Post by GSAX1 »

Oil WILL get past the gears in the oil pump. This is part of the design. There is always a small gap between the gear teeth and the pump walls, allowing oil to seep past when stationary.
booboo

Post by booboo »

Just interested where the parts book pictures came from for the oil filter parts , I have been looking for these but can never find them
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't say the year of your engine but as an example the '59 illustrations posted earlier in this (9 years old) thread are from page 10 in the Spares List here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

The above is from Christians Archive and you can find spares lists for other years under 'Books' then choose 'Spares Lists' in the link here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'