oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
rocketman

oil filter

Post by rocketman »

I know there have been many posts about these filters, and I have probably read most of them. Yet I am still confused. I am attempting to upload a photo of my oil filter and filter tunnel. I hope they show up in the post. The filter has partially collapsed. There is a spring loaded plate at the end of the tunnel. I assume it is a check valve. But it is offset from the center and contacts the filter off center. What is its purpose? The filter looks reasonably clean and reusable other than the fact that it has collapsed. Does this filter integrate the pressure relief valve?
oil filter1.JPG
filter tunnel1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: oil filter

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2013.10.24_09h47m03s_003_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2013.10.24_09h48m24s_004_.png
Not sure of your bikes year /model. Check your parts list to see if you have all the correct parts.
you do not appear to show all parts you have, some which could be wrong parts. 2 examples of parts from parts list's above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

It is a 1962 g12 csr. The photos show all the parts that were in the filter tunnel when I removed the filter
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

The bottom filter assembly is the correct one for the 1962 engine which has the pressure relief valve in the bottom of the tunnel, this vents out into the timing chest. Sometimes the filter collapsed with high oil pressure if the filter needs cleaning.

Post by 1608 »

I believe your filter is too long and is fouling on the release valve at the end of the tunnel thats why it looks crumpled in its length. Test the depth of the tunnel and make sure the filter you have is not too long. There are/were several different length filters that must not be mix.Again, I believe the release valve was located elsewhere on earlier models other than the filter tunnel so a longer filter was used on those earlier models. These filters are capable of crushing or squashing if exposed to too higher oil pressure, which MAY have happened in your case if the filter being too long dissabled the release valve causing too higher oil pressure.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Thanks for confirming the bottom picture I posted is correct for 62 Mike, which it indeed is. I think the other is 59? can't remember now.
So, check parts are correct, if unsure, get correct new parts, assemble in correct order. In particular the suspect oil filter. If it turns out to be correct. You can always keep it, for a spare having given it a good clean.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

You're correct Rob the top is for the 1959 Model 31 and G12, it changed for 1960 and the early '60 onwards filters didn't have the felt outer although the later filters can be used on the 1960 onwards.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

So as far as I can tell I have the correct filter for the 1962 model. The pressure relief valve appears to be part of the filter assembly. So what is the valve at the end of the tunnel? I take it this is where the oil is pumped in from the timing chest. So is it just a check valve to stop oil from going back toward the pump? It appears that the end of the filter touches (interferes) with this valve.
There is no oil filter listed in the 1962 spares addendum that I have. This says that it is the same as the 1960 model. The filter shown in the 1960 spares list is p/n 026139. This appears to be the one that I have. It also shows a pressure relief valve p/n 026133. Is this the valve in the tunnel? Why does the filter interfere with it? Is it possible to have a felt covered filter with an integral relief valve that is too long? If so, is p/n 026139 the short one or the long one?
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Ok, I just read this in the next thread:

On P12 under "Oil circulation" it states:
"Oil is fed under pressure from the feed pump to the filter tunnel under the influence of the pressure relief valve plunger 026133."

On P13 under "Pressure relief valve" it states:
"On earlier type engines this valve was located in the timing side crankcase, just below the dyno stud. The valve consisted of a spring
loaded plunger. The spring will be exposed when the timing cover is removed.
Twin cylinder models made in 1960 and onwards, the pressure relief valve was transferred to the base of the filter compartment, the plunger
026133 is retained by a spring, washer and circlip."

So that clears up part of my question, it appears that the oil is fed through valve 026133 which acts as a check valve. I would guess the relief valve in the filter assembly is for bypassing the filter if the pressure required to pass oil through the filter is too high (clogged with filth). From looking at it I don't see how this would work since oil is forced through the filter from outside to in.
And I still can't understand why the filter would interfere with the valve in the tunnel.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The correct filter & pressure relief valve should fit without interferance if properly installed. Some pattern parts may be wrong & you must have the correct 1/16in copper washer where the filter/non-return valve fits. There should be no other parts in the chamber as the filter is all one part. No one has mentioned that in 1963 they relocated the oil pressure relief valve again to go back to the original felt type. Cheers, Don. 8-)