Heavy duty brake cable,

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Ajaydave

Heavy duty brake cable,

Post by Ajaydave »

Does anyone know where I can get a Heavy Duty front brake cable for my ajay mod 31, also, my drum surface is 1/18th wide, my shoes are 7/8th, they widened the shoe later I believe, would it hurt to fit later wider shoes,
dave16mct

Re: Heavy duty brake cable,

Post by dave16mct »

Venhille will make you one to order or Johnsons cables , Banbury. https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-and-co ... gKjUPD_BwE
If you drums are 1 1/8" your shoes should be the same.
Dave.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

The single sided brake drums were 7/8 in wide, as were the '54 only full width drums ('biscuit barrel'), with shrunk in and bolted cast iron liner and shoes to match. From '55 on the cast iron liner was cast in, and was wider, but the shoes stayed at 7/8 ins. In '63? the interim hub was introduced for that year only (so there aren't many about) and had full width 1 1/8 shoes. It also had 5 ribs on the outside and looked different to the '55 on 'barrelled' hub. If you have one of these hubs, you will need wider shoes, but they are hens teeth. If you have the '55 on hubs with, I believe 7 ribs, you should have the narrower shoes even though the rubbing surface is wider. Andy
Ajaydave

Post by Ajaydave »

Thanks folks,
Ajaydave

Post by Ajaydave »

Thanks folks,