The dreaded centre stand

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
AFPU

The dreaded centre stand

Post by AFPU »

Hi All

The time has come to fit my new 'easy lift' centre stand and the dreaded spring on my 1961 G12 CSR.

However, I am unsure as to where the short end of the spring locates and unfortunately I did not make a note of where it was when I took the old centre stand off (slap on the wrist for me). Having trawled the forum for pictures etc, none really show where the short end locates on a G12 (duplex frame), hence this post.

Assuming that the short end of the spring locates on the right-hand side of the frame, it would seem that the only locating point is around the frame lug, which would be close to the side stand spring. So would that be where it should be located?

Any pictures would be most welcome as a picture says a thousands words.
Last edited by AFPU on Mon May 16, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"
dave16mct

Re: The dreaded centre stand

Post by dave16mct »

The short end hooks into a hole in the engine plate. When you offer it up it will be obvious (that's the easy bit!) Good luck.
Dave
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Thanks Dave, so on the right-hand side?
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I've been trying to upload a picture but ......
Yes it's on the right side. I then use a small ring spanner on the long end to lever it over into the right place. (Lots of other ways but that's how I do it)
Dave.
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Thanks Dave. All done now having located the hole in the engine plate that I had missed.

I used the jubilee clip method of compressing the spring and it all went reasonably well. Just need to release all the jubilee clips now!
Gary
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Released the jubilee clips this morning and the stand works well but the spring (Club replacement part) does not retrun the stand back up into the clip, but instead it needs encouragement. Seems like the spring does not have enough strength to clip it back into place.

Is that usual?
Gary
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

AFPU wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:06 am Released the jubilee clips this morning and the stand works well but the spring (Club replacement part) does not retrun the stand back up into the clip, but instead it needs encouragement. Seems like the spring does not have enough strength to clip it back into place.

Is that usual?
Perhaps you didn't wind it up (pre-tension it) enough?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Maybe, but it would have to go another full turn, which seems almost impossible. But I'll have a go. I kept the old spring so maybe I'll try that and see if it's any better.

The stand also fouls the side stand spring as I only have the two rear holes drilled in my frame for the side stand to automatically retract. I'll have to try and find another location for it.
Gary
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AFPU wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:44 pm Maybe, but it would have to go another full turn, which seems almost impossible. But I'll have a go.

The stand alos fouls the side stand spring as I only have the two rear holes drilled in my frame for the side stand to automatically retract. I'll have to try and find another location for it.
I would advise against trying to put another turn on the centre stand spring it will be fruitless exercise full of pain.

Are you testing the return on the bench so to speak or by rolling the bike off of the stand, you may need to adjust the retaining spring to ensure it catches adequately.

Is your spring a recent one from the spares scheme it may be worth checking if there are different batches.

I've never has a problem with the side stand spring I will have to look how mine is positioned, from memory it is in front of the stand but will check.
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Problem solved. I have taken off the club replacement part and tried fitting the old original spring and guess what it needs far more tensioning to fit than the replacement part so I'll fit the old one. The club spare simply does not have enough tension....so money wasted there.

The side stand holes I have in the frame afre just in front of the centre stand pivot, so when the stand rotates it pushes into the side stand spring and distorts it, which I gues in time will wear it.
Gary