1961 G12 CSR - Top End Rebuild

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
g80csp11

Re: 1961 G12 CSR - Top End Rebuild

Post by g80csp11 »

the best sealant nowdays is 3 bond , much better than flamge sealant
look up THREEBOND 1215 HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE/GEARBOX SEALER 250G TUBE
as far as the aluminium cases are concerned , just make sure there are no raised bits around marks , file if necessary but minimum possible until flat again then apply gasket and sealant . you can buy thick base gaskets that are better than thin paper ones
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Interesting option on Threebond 1215 Peter, I tend to use 1184 the non setting compound for the cases etc. It's very good stuff.
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Based on such I have acquired tubes of:
  • ThreeBond 1215
  • Loctite 518
  • Hylomar (Blue)
  • Wellseal
My current thinking is that I will go with ThreeBond 1215 as from looking a little into the use of ThreeBond 1215 I see that this can be used with paper gaskets, so I am thinking that I will probably use this for the base and head gaskets.

I know that there is said to be no such thing as a daft question, but this may well be one, so here goes. The instructions for use say assemble parts immediately or within 30 mins; so presumably I would then have to put both barrels on and heads and the inlet manifold and torque the head bolts down within that time?

So is this what other people have done?
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"