G12 cs oil consumption

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
MATT

Re: G12 cs oil consumption

Post by MATT »

Just a thought, a couple of years ago I built up a yamaha xs 650 engine and boy did it smoke! difficult to tell which cylinder as both plus looked the same and it has a siamesed exhaust. Off came the barrels, on inspection could not find any issues with piston or rings. So to be on the safe side I put on a new set of rings and re-assembled. It still smoked! A bit down hearted the bike was put to one side.A couple of months later at the Stafford show I bumped into Steve Cooper who is a bit a guru with these engines, told him my tale of woe. his responce was strange to say the least .He advised me to drain the engine of oil and refill it with Morris ring free oil. With nothing to loose this is what I did. On start up after a couple of blips of the throttle NO smoke. Ran the oil till the next oil change and replaced with standard oil with no issues ever since, Might be worth a punt. Matt.
Random

Post by Random »

Random
O’dear no definite answer thanks all . Yes head gaskets needed trimming,reluctantly I think I shall reassemble and see what occurs it’s only the price of gaskets and my time witch is free .shall report result
Cheers all
Barry
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Hi Barry,
excuse me for interfering you thread. Where did you find new rocker spindles? I have been looking over a year for those.

Regards,
Knut
Random

Post by Random »

Hi knut
Barry here rocker spindles were from kempton park bike jumble bushes from Russell motors SW112PE /uk as bushes are an interference fit and need reaming to size after fitting you might get away with old spindles with a bit of luck
Cheers barry