What’s missing?

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
The-Pope

What’s missing?

Post by The-Pope »

So, really getting there with The AJay now.

Bit of back story, this was my dads (and a few of his friends) bike back in the 60’s. Been off the road since seventies. Not run for about 20 years and I am putting it back on the road as a surprise for him. Electronic ignition fitted, mag slip ring was no good. All fluids etc done. Brakes checked. Speedo was stuck so got that working today and new rear chain, tyres etc. been about 6 miles today and all seems well. Onto the question! Sorry for rambling.

The original engine seized 50 or sixty years ago (I have it in the shed. It has The AMC gearbox still attached). The engine now in the bike is a 56 (bike is a 57) and the gearbox in the bike now is a Burman I believe. Here the the issue. The primary is too loose. For the life of me I cannot get the near side bolt undone to slide the box to tighten the primary. The bolt is starting to round so all I can think is I’ll have to have the clutch, sprocket and primary case off to get to it 🙄

Looking at the book though the bolt to adjust the tension is missing ( see photo below) but I found the old engine in the shed had one on, problem is it’s exactly as per the book but the book shows AMC gearbox (I think) and I have a burman.

What tensioning system should the Burman have and can it be fitted with my engine plates? Sorry for the long way round -thought a back story might help!!

Thanks in advance

Stuck bolt & Missing tension mechanism
6535C067-E1B6-416C-878F-EE1D65C6FC5B.jpeg
Tensioner from AMC engine/box that I can’t seem to make fit.

By the book
9A1DC19B-6DA5-4A2D-802E-DCE82CB6140C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Re: What’s missing?

Post by Duncan »

Hi John

The AMC Gearbox adjuster works against the cross bolt through a cut out in the top gearbox casting you may be able to modify what you have to achieve a similar arrangement however CP and GB/B52 gearboxes usually have an adjuster on the timing side on the outside of the engine plates. I have pasted below an extract from the 1956 parts list to illustrate and an extract from an earlier rigid/CP bike to show how it looks assembled.
1956 parts list extract - Gear box adjuster.png
1949 Gearbox Adjuster.png
Unfortunately it looks like the AMC box bolt has been used to fit the gearbox that may require the primary to be removed to extract the bolt as you will require a longer one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The-Pope

Post by The-Pope »

Hi Duncan, thank you for this - that’s exactly what I was needing. I have been trying to zoom in on photos online etc and eBay as I thought this was what was required but couldn’t work out how it fitted. The requirement of a longer bolt as you say is the pain in the backside! Is the tube through the gearbox just a blind tube or is it threaded? I can get the nut undone on mine but the bolt won’t turn. I assume it was tight in the thread. If it’s not threaded than a few taps on the nut end might release it?
Thanks again.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The-Pope wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:20 am Hi Duncan, thank you for this - that’s exactly what I was needing. I have been trying to zoom in on photos online etc and eBay as I thought this was what was required but couldn’t work out how it fitted. The requirement of a longer bolt as you say is the pain in the backside! Is the tube through the gearbox just a blind tube or is it threaded? I can get the nut undone on mine but the bolt won’t turn. I assume it was tight in the thread. If it’s not threaded than a few taps on the nut end might release it?
Thanks again.
The bolt in a standard setup just pushes through the top of the gearbox, its difficult to know what may have been done to keep your gearbox in place without the adjuster being present.
The-Pope

Post by The-Pope »

Good point. I dread to think 🙈 will update when I’m brave enough to find out.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

here are pictures of the parts you need
Poul
DSC01878_1.jpg
DSC01879_1.jpg
The-Pope

Post by The-Pope »

Thanks Poul, I have tried to look on the club spares site but can’t find anything in the search or by looking under the sections I think it would be under ( nothing obvious at least but lots of stuff has no photos ) Where can I get them do you know? Cheers.
Steven S

Post by Steven S »

The correct setup is as illustrated in the original drawing from the Owners Manual you posted. The parts for 1956 should be a 022504 crosshead and 022596 bolt. The spares list confusingly shows a picture of the earlier type eyebolt. The factory made the switch to an adjuster setup inboard of the engine plates in 1956 because the frame change of that year allowed enough space to tuck it away inside.

Those parts are available from other AJS & Matchless suppliers.

Steven
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

To preserve advertising protocols, I'll say it...you could try Steve Surbey of AMC Classic Spares:
http://www.amcclassicspares.com/
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I'll second that! :beer:
Dave.