Renewing Fork Oil 1957 Model 30.

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
The-Pope

Renewing Fork Oil 1957 Model 30.

Post by The-Pope »

Hi everyone first post here and sorry if it is a really obvious one! I have done a search here and on the web generally. I have looked in the manuals too; but nowhere can I see if it is just a case of removing the Allen keyed chrome cap on each fork leg to replace the recommended amount of oil.
To me it would make sense but looking at the diagram there is a damper rod attached underneath and I don’t want to undo it and anything spring apart or fall down. Can someone confirm how to add the oil please (after draining) and any precautions removing the chrome caps.
Thank you
g80csp11

Re: Renewing Fork Oil 1957 Model 30.

Post by g80csp11 »

other than they might be tight , damper rod stays attached to cap as you unscrew it and you can pull upward giving enough space with care to pour new oil in
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the parish, John.
To save fiddling about with a funnel or getting dribbles I made up these for forks and chaincase top-ups.
Top-up pot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

One point to bear in mind; if you remove the drain screws and pump the forks to help the oil out, any oil in there will go a looong way sideways. You can imagine how I know that...

Malc
The-Pope

Post by The-Pope »

Thanks all gives me the confidence to proceed. Time will tell if it stays in there! Other things have taken priority now though maiden trip out to get fuel broke down…… Broken mag pick up so think the slip ring must be worn and stepped not good.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

So glad someone asked this question! I was hoping it would be an easy job as my forks need oil...
Very impressed with the milk container adaptations; very inventive! :bow:
(Any views or opinions within my posts are made in ignorance)
Mark