faulty solid state regulator- seek advice on replacement

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Matt_in_QLD_Aus

faulty solid state regulator- seek advice on replacement

Post by Matt_in_QLD_Aus »

My newly acquired M30 keep blowing the battery fuse. I've traced the problem to a faulty solid state regulator, because all wiring investigations turned up no issues and when I disconnect the regulator, the fuse doesn't blow.
12volt solid state regulator.jpg
Can someone please advise me of a suitable replacement unit. It could be a straight replacement as the faulty one in the pic, but any suggestions for tried-and-proven alternatives would be type appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: faulty solid state regulator- seek advice on replacement

Post by ajscomboman »

Straight replacement is available from the club or you can purchase a DVR2 from Mike Hutchings at Dynamoregultors.com
Matt_in_QLD_Aus

Thanks for your response and the supplier references.
I live in Oz so I am trying to source something locally as a first option. Maybe there is an Aus agent for the DVR2?
I'm also entertaining the thought that a less expensive generic type is available, but of course i'll need some advice from whomever before purchasing.
If the local option doesn't work, then I'll order from the club per your advice.
cheers from Matt.
P.S. Also this weekend, I found a data sheet for the method of testing a regulator's performance using a lab DC supply and a few light bulbs for load... I might give this a go as well
Groily

Post by Groily »

You get what you pay for with regulators Matt. Not saying there aren't good local options or maybe there are stockists of imports, but price and value are commonly confused among the ones easily available this side of the world.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Pazon in New Zealand show a 6/12V dynamo regulator on their website. It would appear that they have stock of -ve earth type (your photo shows the same polarity on the Tebtec one). It would also appear to be remarkably similar to the DVR2.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Extremely similar! Same coloured wires, same doubling up of white and brown for 6v operation, same or very similar box, and same or similar wording in the relevant online blurb.
Bullets on the leads are nice (DVRs don't have, or haven't had anyway) - if you have the matching other halves.
Probably a very good bet depending on what the NZ dollar is worth compared to Aus $ , GBP etc, as Pazon have a very good reputation. And (who knows?) maybe it's a DVR2 made under licence or rebadged for local consumption?

Says it's good for Miller dynamos too - but the internal dyn wiring would need to be modified to the 'Lucas' arrangement with field coil wired between F terminal and Earth, not F to D. Not an issue for an AMC bike though.
Matt_in_QLD_Aus

Hi Reynard24,
Thanks for your info about Pazon (alternative supplier in NZ).
As an aside, I'm a bit confused about your comment that my Tebtec unit has a -ve (negative) earth polarity. Did you mean to say +ve (positive)?
My AJS's electrical system is definitely a positve earth system and I thought the Tebtec labelling (see image) reflected this when it shows the "12V Earth" which I assume means "[positive] 12 V Earth" ; otherwise it would have been labelled "[negative] --12V Earth".
Oh my goodness, it's all a bit confusing!
Matt_in_QLD_Aus

Hi again Reynard24,
Oh boy, the plot thickens.
I've just had another good look at the image of the Tebtec unit and noticed the dash before the word EARTH. So maybe you were right to say
the unit is a negative earth type. So this would mean that the previous owner has installed the wrong type of regulator (negative earth) when it should have been positive earth. And this is why my electric system sees it as a short circuit and so blows the fuse as soon as I connect the battery.
So the unit would not have worked from day one!
Groily

Post by Groily »

Yup, the one on there is neg earth.
It's not 'wrong' to have either earth (your choice) but things have to match - dynamo polarity, regulator if an electronic one, and battery/ammeter connections.

Best start at the beginning I think, decide which earth you prefer, confirm or reverse dynamo polarity, fit regulator of your chosen polarity (that one MIGHT still work if it could withstand reverse hookup), and connect battery and ammeter leads the right way round.

There's no guarantee the PO had the faintest idea what he was doing, so you need to sort things out in the right order.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have a browse of the excellent 'Matchless Clueless' website by James (link below) which covers regulators, pos or neg Earth and changing from one to the other, changing the dynamo polarity ('Flashing'), plus a great deal more on electrics and our old bikes in general

https://www.matchlessclueless.com/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'