1956 Model 30 seizure - kind of!!

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Victor Johnstone

Re: 1956 Model 30 seizure - kind of!!

Post by Victor Johnstone »

Thanks Dave. This is def the most helpful bike club!!!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Victor Johnstone wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:02 am Thanks Dave. This is def the most helpful bike club!!!
Not according to our reviews on the website. I don't know why but people seem to have a different opinion of us.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Really? I've always thought that we helped anyone whenever we could. Where do you go to look at these reviews?
Dave.
Victor Johnstone

I think AMOC is excellent! Good people (actually most motorcyclist are), good sound advice that I have used as a newbie AJS owner, an excellent and fast spares system (also used!) and a well thought out online facility.

What's not to like!!!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:52 am Really? I've always thought that we helped anyone whenever we could. Where do you go to look at these reviews?
Dave.
Not related to the forum but the club in general. If you search for www.jampot.com on google it'll list the club and also show reviews, only 3 or 4 and we achieve a rating off 3.6 out of 5 stars
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Victor Johnstone wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:10 am I think AMOC is excellent! Good people (actually most motorcyclist are), good sound advice that I have used as a newbie AJS owner, an excellent and fast spares system (also used!) and a well thought out online facility.

What's not to like!!!
I think a lot of the gripes come from those who just log on to get as much info as possible for free and when they are told that it's only for a brief period and they'd be better off joining. The thought of having to spend out to get access and info doesn't sit well. I suppose that's why loads of people are on facebook asking where to get parts without having to join the club. I don't get it myself because even once you have a part you may require assistance to get it to fit correctly etc. That sort of info then becomes well worth the membership fee and the 12 magazines included.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Is there the option to respond to reviews? I recall when I was looking for a re-conditioned High Pressure Fuel Pump for the Rover, my eventual choice, P F Jones, had some poor reviews for another branch of their business related to towbars. The pump was (still is) great, £180 versus £520 for a new one.

Their responses on the review site were very funny but also highlighted that when someone says "it didn't fit" in the same review where they say something along the lines of "we were in a rush so didn't read the instructions" they are clearly idiots.

Johnny B
Victor Johnstone

Engine now out. LH big end completely gone. Easy disassembly so far. Mag and dynamo off. Oil pumps off. Haven't needed extractors. To get crank out and rods off, can any of you knowledgeable folks advice on what I will need? Any other tips gratefully received. :-)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think you'll need an extractor for the timing pinion / mag gear and one for the cam wheels - check the back of the Owners Manual under tools for details.

Regards Mick
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

From memory no need to dismantle the timing pinion to get the crank out. But you say : LH big end completely gone. In this case one rod is off. To get the crank out, you have only to undo the centre web. Camshafts can remain temporarily on the RH half crankcase, just the time to discover the origin of the failure.
Kin regards.