Clutch CLUNK on pulling lever?

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
aerobatix

Clutch CLUNK on pulling lever?

Post by aerobatix »

Hi all,

New member here, so I hope someone may have an answer to a problem I have with an AJS 1956 Model 30 600 Springtwin that I just acquired.... I've searched as best I can but can't seem to spot a similar post already on the forum?

The bike I got literally looks like brand new, 3 miles on the clock from pushing I'd say! But unlike the previous owner I'd like to ride and use this...When I pull in the clutch lever, the rotating clutch spider (if thats the right term) goes past its maximum and the basket drops back with a loud clunk.... I'm wondering could this be simple as the pivot centre on the clutch lever giving a bit too much throw? and 7/8" pivot centre on the clutch lever is correct?

The gearbox is the type with the large inspection hatch as an aluminium domed screw..

Thanks!
dave16mct

Re: Clutch CLUNK on pulling lever?

Post by dave16mct »

Yes Burman B52 gearbox. You probably have a worn clutch mechanism. The ball in between the plates gradually wears a track and eventually it flicks back when pulled in fully. Do a search and you will find lots on this. You can replace the mechanism or you may be able to adjust it out. Give the cable a lot more slack and you won't reach the point when it flicks over. You can see it happen through the inspection cap. You have the correct lever with 7/8" between centres (not the diameter of the h'bars). Pattern levers with 1 1/8" centres can cause this too.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Paul.
As well as Mick's advice first adjust the clutch. Be aware that the cable adjuster only varies the slack in the cable. It does not adjust the clutch.
For details of clutch adjustment see page 53 in the manual for your bike here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf

To save eye strain and neck ache you can rotate the manual and enlarge the text using these buttons on the manual's screen page.
Archive rotate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
aerobatix

Post by aerobatix »

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!