1958 AjS model 30cs

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Sheamus

1958 AjS model 30cs

Post by Sheamus »

Hi all,
As I am not familiar with matchless / AjS motorcycles I need some advise please.
Can anyone advise,were the four metering plugs in the cylinder heads discarded for this model in 1958? As I found that none are currently fitted.
However the non return valve located in the engine filter tunnel, is a sealed unit type.
So do I need to fit the metering plugs or not? (Just checking)
Also has anyone an exploded view or the engine oil filter assembly as this assembly is missing from my project.
Any help / advice welcome
Thanks..Sheamus..
dave16mct

Re: 1958 AjS model 30cs

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Sheamus,
welcome to the club. Not sure about the metering plugs. I made them for my last twin, 1960 Model 31. Clive may know, he's got this same bike.
Here's a diagram of the filter set-up: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Models.pdf
Page 18.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

The heads on my G11CS 1958 had plugs, or at least one was missing and I put one in to match. The engine has done about 12,000 miles since but I did some mods to the oiling system too. I was having trouble with oil leaking from the crankcase halves from the filter area behind the dynamo. At the time I was running on SAE 50 oil and my bike had no oil pressure relief valve. I split the crankcases and found no small paper gasket and on the advice of a section member who had tried to fix the leak before did two things in addition to putting in the small paper gasket. Firstly he machined the case to take the later type relief valve which also requires a different filter. This was a bit of a task for him, way outside my skill set. Secondly I changed to 20/50 as all indications are the oil pressure is at it highest with the oil cold. No oil leaks from the crankcase since but still a weep from the dynamo gasket.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix

Post by 1608 »

The metering plugs were discontinued around 58/59 but re-instated in 62. I believe they were re-introduced to help with over oiling the top end. So it makes sense to re-fit them. I fitted them to my 60 G12 and it made a difference. The plugs are fitted to the oil feed at the base of the head and need swaging a tad prior to fitting to stop them falling out.
Sheamus

Post by Sheamus »

Thanks lads for your replies,
I wasn't too sure which end of the filter went where, Dave,or what parts were involved ,but now it's clear thanks to your link,
I will now source a supplier for this assembly.
I have the thin gasket as you mentioned Clive ,and will be sure to use on re assembly,along with the metering plugs as advised by 1608
Once again thanks all.....Sheamus...
raffles

Post by raffles »

Hi Seamus
The club can supply all you need metering jets in stock
Tony
Sheamus

Post by Sheamus »

Thanks Raffles ,
Order sent to club spares