1958 30CS Exhaust

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
clive

Re: 1958 30CS Exhaust

Post by clive »

Coopers American importers published a photo of the bike on their 1958 publicity. Clearly shows straight pipe above the footrest.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

ajsph wrote: they answered all AJS and Matchles are rubbish
Poul
20190508_141045_1.jpg
I don't know about that Poul, but that weld looks rubbish!
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

clive wrote:Coopers American importers published a photo of the bike on their 1958 publicity. Clearly shows straight pipe above the footrest.
A photo Clive? even more confused, I don't see how it could be straight, it certainly couldn't be straight, over the footrest on my bike.
clive

Post by clive »

Straight pipe. Slides in easily. Poul had trouble with the fit on the short pipe. If you look at his photo if the bracket was tweaked it would line up with the front mounting stud. Had to do so with mine but it was a closer fit.
20190711_094842_resized_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
clive

Post by clive »

When I first rebuilt the bike (came in lumps) it had rubber oil pipes. They started burning through on the exhaust. Had assistance to make up two copper pipes but in mid winter in an unheated garage we struggled to get the copper hot enough to anneal it. They wiggle all over the place but do the job!
clive
clive

Post by clive »

So here are what I believe are original pipes that came with the bike. It only had one previous registered owner but had clearly been unused for some years and been through a number of hands in that time.
20200309_114317_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

yes the short pipe don,t´fit in the long pipe , the angle was wrong, the bracket in the wrong place, poor welding, but as Feked told me, my bike and all AJS and Matchless, were rubbish also when they were new. and they had sold a lot of siamese system for a G11CS without problem.
Poul
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

clive wrote:Straight pipe. Slides in easily.
Just tried to slide the straight part of the straight pipe that came with the bike through, above the footrest (just to see if it would go)...no way it will go through, Hmmmm, even more confused. :?

Pic of pipes that came with bike and how they were fitted, not sure what bike they are supposed to fit.... but it ain't this one.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

... and the new one, much neater.... shame about the short pipe!
clive

Post by clive »

well I think I have different footrests to yours. They go over the frame rail but have some machining of a scallop out of the upper edge of the angled section which allows the pipe to slide closer to them. Below is the Coopers advert I referred to. Photo of an actual bike and clearly showing straight through pipe not up and over. If you enlarge it, it is also just possible to see the bracket on the short pipe going to the front engine mounting.
Coopers m30.png
clive