AMC clutch plates

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
clive

AMC clutch plates

Post by clive »

I was getting clutch slip on the 1958 G11CS on the way to the IJR. Tightened up the springs by a full turn and it was improved but not removed. Before it would slip in 3rd and top if going up hill and afterwards it would slip after town driving although this would improve after some miles.
The bike was built up from a box of bits in 2011/2 and the clutch basket was the friction insert type with damage and missing inserts. I replaced it with a new basket of the 1960 on type (I think) with bonded friction material. I think I have 4 friction plates and 5 plain plates. But it's some time since I had it all completely apart although I did replace the friction plates during lockdown in an attempt to improve things as it was slipping then. The two new inner friction plates are now hammered up on the ears I assume from the slipping.
My question is what plates should I have? I see from the 1960 parts list that I should have 4 double sided friction plates and one single sided friction plate and only 4 steel plates. I cannot see how that will work unless I am wrong and the later clutch basket had no friction material on it so that the first plate inserted is a friction one. If so I am one friction plate short, the single side one, which I assume goes on the outside with the pressure plate bearing on the non friction side.
Alternatively if the clutch basket does have some bonded friction material on it is the single sided plate the first one inserted? But I still don't see how you then insert 4 plain and 4 friction plates unless the pressure plate runs against friction material.
Advice please before I pull it all down.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Re: AMC clutch plates

Post by dave16mct »

Yes the later clutch sprocket is plain both sides. The backplate has bonded on friction material. I don't which type you've got because the later friction plates won't have external 'ears'.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

Sounds like I may have a mix of parts. Sounds like I am going to need to pull it apart to see what I used!
clive
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Mine was like this:
Equal number of friction and plain plates.
Then the single sided friction plate, then the pressure plate. I don't have a photo of these.
1.jpg
2.jpg[attachment=0]4.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Many thanks for the photos. I have ordered some more plates and will strip it down fairly soon, working on another bike for someone at present. But from memory mine does not look anything like this! will submit some photos when I have done it
clive
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

There are 2 types of AMC clutch , if you look at the Andover Norton spares site look at earlier type and P11 (later type)

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-drawing/302/clutch

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-drawing/886/clutch

You must have one of these types
As log as you fit the complete matched clutch parts , both will work
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I've mix and matched between the two types.
I didn't have the single sided friction plate but I did have a plain plate from the earlier type with the internal dogs, so I fixed a spacer ring to it and used it under the pressure plate.
5.jpg
I'm half a friction plate short and can't comment on how effective it is as the bike (a 350) is not on the road yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

So the clutch will definitely have to come apart as I have just found that the friction plates I replaced earlier had hammered up on the first two as well. Moving towards thinking I have the clutch basket with no friction material but the earlier clutch plates with external ears. However I probably did not realize that with that clutch basket I would need the later back plate with bonded friction material, with the earlier type it would allow slip. many thanks for the Andover links. This may be a bit delayed as I am fixing a G3 for someone else and I have just bought another bike and then there is the broken spoke to replace on my Model 18 and the 28 AJS K12 party restored I have had since 1993 but never had running.....
clive
clive

Post by clive »

Well today i pulled the clutch partially out. The rubbers will need replacing which is no surprise. What was a surprise was that 11 years ago I replaced the clutch basket with a similar type with the friction material as inserts. The plain plates fit to the clutch centres whilst the friction plates have external ears. What I had assumed then was that I needed 4 friction plates and 5 plain plates. The clutch basket will need a plain plate first and i assume the last plate must be plain to bear on the spring pressure plate. The Norton Andover diagram only specifies 4 plain and 4 friction plates. Cannot see how that works. Advice welcome.
20220628_114251.jpg
20220628_114422.jpg
clive
clive

Post by clive »

I am beginning to believe the problem is that i did not do the springs up tight enough. Should they be done up til the the nut is flush with the bolt?
clive