New to me AJS model 30

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Illf8ed

Re: New to me AJS model 30

Post by Illf8ed »

Is there any convention to the frame serial number for these? Mine is A 38512 with engine 56/30 0272.
How can I tell if this is the matching frame to the engine?
clive

Post by clive »

From the home screen If you go to club details, dating service you will find out how to obtain information from the factory records held by the club. The more expensive dating certificate gives more detail and will tell you if the frame and engine matched when they left the factory.
"Derived from factory records. Confirms the year and model of the frame, engine and gearbox numbers provided.
Includes letter detailing any other factory data e.g. supplying dealer". You supply photos of the frame, engine and gearbox numbers and the dating officer confirms if they match from the factory records.

The cheaper on Line service will confirm the year of manufacture of the frame. Both cost less if you are a paid up member of the club.

An added complication is that the factory shut down for holidays at the end of August each year and the new model year commenced on the return to work in September. Consequently a 56 model could have been built any time from 1st September 55 to mid August 56.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Illf8ed

Post by Illf8ed »

I’m having a tough time with “stuck” engine on this AJS model 30. Pistons rings are rusted in the bores, but also looks like the crankshaft may be stuck. I believe if I can get the cylinders off I can soak the bottom end and get that freed up. The photos I’ve seen of the cylinders is a very long skirt. I may resort to removing the cylinder studs to see if I can get any rotation force on the cylinders. Slowly moving so as not to break anything.